The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Books & Movies
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Books & Movies

Posted at 15:45 on May 21st, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Here we discuss recently or currently read books or watched movies/TV shows, ask for and share opinions, name your favorite authors, directors, actors or simply titles of any particular genre, be as concise as to post just the title you like or tad more outspoken and write a short review. And, of course, we can simply indulge in reminiscence and bring up anything that lurks in our memory.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 10:37 on May 23rd, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Currently reading (finishing) "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley, typical classic dystopian novel. Interestingly enough, it was written in 1931, but the sound of it corresponds better with 50-60s, which to an extent makes Huxley an overachiever, even though his world apparently still lacks jet power and everybody uses sophisticated copter carriers.

In England of tomorrow people are produced in lab conditions via genetic engineering and brought up by special means of social engineering for optimal life adjustment. There are no families, intercourse (promiscuity vastly encouraged) is only meant for pleasure and the notion of parenthood is scorned and deprecated. The members of this society are divided into types ranging from Alpha to Epsilon, where the former take top position and engage in management and control of the society and the latter do all the dirty work. Notwithstanding hierarchy and strict division of labor this society is well-balanced and happy. Everyone does what he is best conditioned for and represents an important cell in the social machine regardless of his genetic type. These people know neither pain nor tears, the former values have been obliterated, not even death has any meaning, and on top of it all everyone is free to partake a daily dose of a drug called 'soma' which induces forgetfulness and bliss.

This one reminded me of Logan's Run, which I too very much like and one of the episodes of the original Twilight Zone series called "Number 12 Looks Just Like You". When I began reading it I realized just how unoriginal my own ideas were as to improving the world we live in, cause Mr. Huxley expressed them long before my parents were born :)
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 06:22 on May 25th, 2016
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll