The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Mozilla Update
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Mozilla Update

Posted at 14:51 on October 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The Mozilla 1.5 'suite' is out, and so are Firebird 0.7 and Thunderbird 0.3. Anyone tried them yet?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:16 on October, 15th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:00 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Even though nobody seems to be interested in this, I'll post my own 'first experiences' with the programs.

Firebird 0.7
Options now include the important handling of MIME types (which makes one of the two extensions I used useless). The other extension I installed works fine. Firebird now also starts when Thunderbird is already running (always had to start Firebird first, and Thunderbird afterwards before). Display of sites doesn't seem to be any different, but then again, I never had any problems with 0.5 and 0.6. Downside: Not compatible with the Breeze theme (no scrollbars displayed), so it's still unusable. Back to 0.6.1.

Thunderbird 0.3
Fully compatible with 'Orbit Grey', functionality seems to be exactly the same. Site says it's a bugfix release, the only really critical bug I encountered in 0.2 is still there, though: If the default account's inbox is pretty big, a huge amount of the messages sometimes suddenly become marked as 'unread'. Replaces 0.2 fully, the adaptable anti-spam function is still promising, but there are still quirks.
-----
Posted at 13:12 on October 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Mozilla irritates me, wondering why things arent working because you forgot to type file:// pisses me off. If i had a pound for every time I'd forgotton to type file:// i'd be a rich man. Its almost as anoying as ';'. I wonder how many hours have been wasted because of a ';'? Lots, thats how many.
Posted at 14:02 on October 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You would prefer to have 'file' as the default protocol of a browser instead of 'http'? :confused:
-----
Posted at 17:21 on October 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The file thing irritates the hell out of me too. All other browsers recognize that any url beginning with c:/ (or c:) has the file:// protocol. Mozilla is the only one that doesn't realize that.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 04:44 on October 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
All other browsers
Obvious lie.

It is like it is in Mozilla for a good reason: The 'big three' of the file systems (ext2, ext3 and Reiser) don't use partitions of drives to identify files, but only pathes. How is the browser supposed to recognize if what I've just typed is a path or an URL for the http protocol?

Besides, I don't really see what the 'file' part is made for anyway. Every normal person has Apache installed, so there is no need for 'file'.

Edit: I just tried it on the Windows version of Firebird on my parent's computer. Typed "c:files1.jpg" into the address bar, and it showed the file without any complaining. So much for that 'point'.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 13:04 on October, 18th 2003
-----
Posted at 16:56 on October 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
When you dont do web stuff every day, and usually only do it for IE only envoirenments, things like moz needing the correct protocal on local urls pass me by when moving from an IE only envoironment to the outside world. Annoying. Dont get me wrong, im not bashing the broswer, anoyed with myself more than anything.
Posted at 17:46 on October 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The new handling of MIME types sounds promising... will check the new version tomorrow. :)
Posted at 04:22 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
fretz: As I already said, Firebird doesn't need the protocol for local files. I tried it on my parent's Windows computer (entering "C:dirfile") and on my own (entering "/path/to/file"), and both worked fine without me putting "file://" in front of it. I don't know what version you're using, but it must be either completely outdated or buggy if it doesn't work.
-----
Posted at 05:49 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Every single version of mozilla and mozilla phoenix/firebird that I have ever tried have been the exact same way. When I try to go to a local file without putting in the file:// part, it pops up an error box saying "c is not a registered protocol". Yet if I cut&paste the exact same address into opera or IE, they recognize it as a request for a local file, and it goes right through.
-----
Posted at 07:34 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, because you didn't do it like I said it works two times now, but differently...
-----
Posted at 08:08 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It works fine for me, too (entering "c:dirfile.gif" into the address bar). :doubt:

Not that I've ever used it, but anyway... ;)
Posted at 11:12 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Update: Breeze has now been made compatible with Firebird 0.7, so I've upgraded :D Now if I only knew what 'autoscroll' was...

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:12 on October, 19th 2003
-----
Posted at 11:47 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Urgh... it's not compatible with my current theme (Phonity Modern) at the moment, so I'll stick to 0.61 for a while...
Posted at 11:52 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That one's ugly anyway - no need to upgrade it :P

Edit: Looking over the list of all available themes again, I must say it's not that ugly - compared to all the other crap :pain:

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:57 on October, 19th 2003
-----
Posted at 11:58 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
At least it's not "Win-XP-kindergarten-style" like most other themes. :P
Posted at 12:20 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You aren't talking about "Phoenity Christmas", are you? ;)
-----
Posted at 15:06 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Autoscroll is when you use a wheel mouse and middle click on the page to get the double arrow icon, then the page will automatically scroll up when you move the mouse up (and continue scrolling until you stop it), or down when you move the mouse down.
-----
Posted at 22:46 on October 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks, I never knew about that option :)
-----
Posted at 06:15 on October 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Is the autoscroll fearture included in 0.7? So far, it was only available as an extension...
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll