The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - New high speed tech for old computers
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

New high speed tech for old computers

Posted at 03:23 on October 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'm surprised nobody started or talked about this topic already, so I am risking it to know if you guys know about it.

I heard in a very techno and sience-fiction channel (Ztele.com (french channel)) that a new kind of technology will be available or in development for old computers. The technology is very similar to the one used in the making of the 4 and 5 gigahertz computers since they use the same kind of chips but is mounted on a PCI card. Basically, all what the card do is manage the calculations of the main computer board, effectively increasing the processing power.

It was said that in the testing of those cards, an old computer equiped with 6 of those cards ranked in the 500 fastest computers of the world. No remarks were made on how "old" the computer was tough...

I found this news interesting in the way that it could "save" our old computers. Imagine if you could just turn on or off those cards via a software; you could play any game that usually needs a CPU Killer like the old days, then switch back to the chips and manage to run any kind of software that require heavy processing like any newer games or graphical programs.

Would be heaven for me.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 04:50 on October 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
While this would certainly be a good technology branch to revive, such 'turbo cards' won't solve any problems with games. First of all, you have the problem of the OS you're running. Then, you have all the other hardware components of the computer: video card, RAM, sound card and even seemingly trivial things like mice. Take video cards. If you want to run old games (talking about IBM PC, that would be '90 to '95), you need one which is compatible with the VESA 2.0 standard. Current ones aren't. On the other hand, if you want to run newer stuff, you can't live with an 'obsolete' model. That's just the most obvious examples.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:50 on October 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well, that's exactly the point. I could play with my old games on my old computer while still being able to play with new games along with the card. I don't think my GeForce 3 would cause me any trouble. It didn't do in the past at least.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll