The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Walls of Rom (1443)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Walls of Rom (1443)

Posted at 19:38 on April 12th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
While noticing some glitches in the TDC version of the game, I was comparing the floppy content with the TGOD matching images I had. What was noticed is that the fillers for the TGOD image were 0x00 instead of 0xF6. I experimented with some older images that were incomplete (i.e. 1994 .imz data files), and once imported into a new WinImage and saved back, the missing data was filled with 0x00. Specifically 0x119400-0x167FFF (Sector 2250 - end) for this disk1 for example. Unused, clean formatted data is supposed to be 0xF6 (like #2973).

Is something like this happening here where someone is completing a disk that is short in bytes or is that taken into consideration when receiving images that someone may have changed?

What that tells me is that #1443 is really bad when compared to #2973.
Posted at 20:43 on April 12th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I experimented with some older images that were incomplete

Incomplete how? You mean the unused part was truncated? It is possible that earlier WinImage versions did something like that, yes. I remember some DOS app, which did pretty much the same thing. However, I'm not really sure we're dealing with the same exact aftermath here even though it seems to coincide. I've examined plenty of dumps to know it is always possible to have the same version but different release, which can be slightly different in all kinds of delicate ways, so I'm afraid so far it doesn't prove anything. But hey, note taken!
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 11:47 on April 13th, 2020
Posted at 21:32 on April 12th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Bachelor Gumby
I have several old truncated disk image .IMZ files I found dated 1994 (I think I got from the german CGBOARD) which, if they used WinImage, could have removed the remaining F6 as saving space. I will have to use a v2.0 WinImage if I can find it to see if that was its way of "compressing" back then.

Edit:
Found it. The default option was to truncate the image. See pic.

Attachment: *****
-----
Edited by bmanbdaman at 21:43 on April 12th, 2020
Posted at 21:46 on April 12th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Thanks, only I still don't know if I should mark this set as modified. I mean, what are the odds that this other person did exactly what you did? Maybe it's WinImage, maybe something else. But one thing I will definitely do is write some notes.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 21:57 on April 12th, 2020
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll