The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Combined view?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Combined view?

Vote:
Combined only
Both combined and by system
By system only
Posted at 12:56 on December 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Doesn't look as if there are many people left here in this forum to ask, but I'll try anyway.

The idea is this: At the moment, each system on TGOD has its own section (in the case of the Hall of Fame subsections of a section, but that difference isn't really important). That means if someone just checks the 'PC' or 'SNES' sections for example (those are the most popular ones by the way), they'll miss a lot of game entries which are in other sections - in spite of the reviews actually fitting any version.

There would be a simple way to solve this: 'combined view'. I'm using the term used at Mobygames for example, because it is basically the same. Throwing everything into one section and let visitors just see 'games', i.e. of all types. It would still be listed what a review refers to and where the screenshots come from, of course. It'd also make comparisons between different versions easier.

'Combined only' would mean getting rid off all the individual 'per system' designs and sections. Flatten everything.
'Both combined and by system' means keeping the structure as it is now and add another section - the combined view. Then, people who just want games of any type can get them, but fans of just one system can still stay pure.
'By system only' is as it is now. Scrap the idea of 'combined view'.

Opinions welcome!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 18:01 on December 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Combined has a lot of advantages, but getting rid of by system would be a bad idea. Most people aren't open to games from just any system, they're looking for games from a specific system.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 23:00 on December 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think the "combined" approach is good if you want to call attention to games that are not noticed by many visitors. And in fact, for me it isn't really important whether a game was released for PC, C 64, or Atari Lynx; only its quality matters.

However, I think that Cypherswipe is right that many people are looking for a specific system and not for "games" in general. And many people would never touch an emulator for example. For such people, a list that contains PC AND SNES games would be unnecessary.

Therefore, I personally like the idea of a "combined view", but I think there are a lot of people who don't. But as the site is based on a database, it's not a problem to have both (combined/sections). In any case that includes a "combined view", it's necessary to have a unified layout, though.
Posted at 03:29 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I thought of having both, too, but there is one potential disadvantage: while it would bring more attention to games which might stay 'undiscovered' otherwise, it'll certainly take readers away from the 'misc' texts in each section, e.g. the introductions to the systems.

As for the design issue, I thought of using the 'wood' design for the 'combined view' and give the PC-specific section a new face. That'd make sense, because then, all the sections of 'general interest' (all games as well as FAQ, crew,....) would share the same look, and each system's subsite would still work on its own seperate from the rest.
-----
Posted at 05:22 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I beleive that combined view is a bad idea. When I want a game, I want it to be able to run on my PC. If I search for a Snes mod or an Amiga game, I search specificaly for those kind of games. Having a list with all the games genre blend in would be a complete waste of searching time, unless you are searching nothing in particular (and indeed already wasting time).

Both combined and by system would be a viable option, but be sure to keep the system only the basic link and then offer the option of having a big list with all the kind blend in. I guess it would be the best way to keep everyone happy...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 05:29 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, if you choose 'PC' in the top menu, you'll get PC only, but if you explicitely go to the 'all' section, you'll get all. That's the idea of having 'both'.

Quote:
When I want a game, I want it to be able to run on my PC
SNES and Amiga games run with less problems than MS-DOS games on most current PCs, but that's probably off-topic.
-----
Posted at 08:13 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't like the combined idea too much. Of course, it depends what the purpose of your site is. If you want to appeal to hardcore fans of certain system, keep it as it is. If you want to appeal to masses like MobyGames does, switch. I personally would prefer the former. The competition in the latter is too strong, and it's doubtful that switching would bring in more visitors; it'll only alienate the old ones. Giving an option of all games may be nice for new visitors, but without a direct link back to the main menu. I see it as allowing the visitor to click on a game, but then be stuck in the old design, in a particular section of the site.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 12:54 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I guess it depends what you are looking for in the end, if I'm looking for a golden oldy for my pc, I'll prefere sections, but if I were looking for diffrent variations of a game, just to see how much they differ, I would prefere the combined view.
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 14:02 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I think the 'search the whole site' function works pretty well, why not make that available from the pages for specific systems (sorry if it already is but I didn't think so)? Or maybe even a link under the reviews that automatically searches the site for other entries on the same game? I voted for both anyways since I think it's a good idea to make the separate pages for each system more 'connected' in some way.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 16:57 on December 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
All those views are pretty interesting to read, however, I find it surprising that nobody has even refered to the point that generally reviews of games can be largely applied to any system. Like NetDanzr for example once said, he visits "The Amiga Games Database", because the reviews are very good. I doubt he has ever played a single Amiga game. I think people looking for game information (as opposed to downloads) don't care much about which version a review is.
-----
Posted at 07:49 on December 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, that's why I'd be satisfied with just a simple page, linking to all reviews. However, I see no reason for a "combined" or "unified" view.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 12:11 on December 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
This is drifting off more and more into a direction I anticipate. What I'm planning is not to add as many 'alternate versions' of games as possible (this will stay a very minor aspect of the site), but to have all 'game names' in one section, regardless of from which system the entry into the database originates.
-----
Posted at 14:31 on December 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A first draft: http://www.goodolddays.net/allgames.php?query=letter&letter=i&page=1. There are still some graphics missing, not all screenshots work correctly (there won't be animated ones on these lists, of course) and so on. I think it makes sense since TGOD is a gaming site, so it will be done (as an addition to the system-specific sections)... sooner or later.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:32 on December, 19th 2003
-----
Posted at 19:52 on December 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Excuse me to be so short minded again, but that's exactly the kind of page that I would run away from like the plague. If at least you could say from which platform the game is from before clicking on "more infos" would be an incredible improvement in my opinion.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 02:09 on December 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, I think the system(s) of a game should be visible in the "list".
Posted at 03:49 on December 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's no problem :)

Edit: Done. It now shows the system the review is referring to, and in case there are different ones, it lists them all (see for example Chaos Engine).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:01 on December, 20th 2003
-----
Posted at 05:26 on December 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, I think that's better. :)

Hm, I was just wondering about my rating for The Choas Engine - at first, it seemed to be too low considering the quality of the game, but on the other hand, 13 points are probably justified because you can't finish the game without cheating...

Edit: Changed to 14. ;)

Edited by Tapuak at 13:30 on December, 20th 2003
Posted at 05:40 on December 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What still needs to be worked on is the actual 'review pages'. First question: Should every version have its own set of buttons, or would you prefer to have all the reviews, and then all buttons combined? Also, since different versions can have different ratings, publishers etc., all this should be listed above the respective review as well (and not only on the 'listing'). This is more a question of design. Last but not least, it has to be decided which version to present on the 'listing'. On the one hand, it'd make sense to use the 'original' there. On the other hand, the 'best' version might look good as well (especially in regards to the screenshot -> first impression).

Edit: Note to self: Game entries with additions to the name (like for example "Brutal Sports Football (AGA)") shouldn't have an individual listing.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:47 on December, 20th 2003
-----
Posted at 11:23 on December 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think the "best" version should represent a game, for example the Amiga version of Chaos Engine.

As for the buttons, I'd prefer a set of buttons for each version.
Posted at 09:56 on December 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Screenshots button now linked correctly for all games and cases. SNES doesn't show yet because of the files named differently than for other systems. Tapuak? Would it be ok to rename the SNES-screenshots to save me a lot of programming of exceptions? I would do this, of course, just asking because it's your section...
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll