The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - MAME question from Jarvis interview
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

MAME question from Jarvis interview

Posted at 12:03 on March 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
What are your thoughts on MAME? Does it bother you that you can surf the Net and get pretty much any one of your old arcade games up and running for free on your home PC?

It's interesting. It's similar and different from the Napsterization of music. I guess it's similar in the sense that you have this huge body of material that is now available essentially free to run on your PC. They have software that emulates virtually any system ever made from Atari 2600 to arcade games to even some of the later Nintendo systems. You have all these games being provided free to people. Game designers are obviously not getting any royalties, although they probably never got royalties anyway.

The one thing that makes that different is that all these platforms are pretty much dead -- they weren't really economically viable, and, in fact, a lot of these games were in danger of becoming extinct. In some ways, this amazing underground community that has, through all kinds of volunteer efforts -- if you had to pay people to do all of this stuff it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to do this -- people have done it just for the love of the old games, so, in a sense, they've done a tremendous public service in preserving the old games to be played and enjoyed today. You also look at the number of Internet games pretty much just ripping off the old games and calling it something different, you know, changing a few things around and pretending it's an all-new, original game and they're not paying for the rights to those games either. Nobody really lost any revenue due to the whole thing, so there really isn't a victim.

In my mind, I see it as a wonderful thing that these games are out there being enjoyed. As a creative person, and I think even musicians would agree with this, your No. 1 objective is not to make money, your No. 1 objective is to get people to enjoy your creative product. To listen to your song, to play your game, whatever. That's why you're in it. If you wanted to make money, you'd be out selling real estate or something. It's a wonderful, wonderful thing to have this way for people to enjoy works of art and have great access to it. To have things that have been forgotten and out of print and in the dumpster revived and enjoyed by people. I'm amazed that people cared enough to do it.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/03/02/eugene_jarvis/index3.html

From interview with Eugene Jarvis, creator of Defender and Robotron.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 12:22 on March 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Very refreshing, and perfectly in line with similar statements of other game designers (Al Lowe comes to my mind). The key-sentence is this:
Quote:
your No. 1 objective is not to make money, your No. 1 objective is to get people to enjoy your creative product

And that already distinguishes the game designers from the publishers. Unfortunately, it's mostly the publishers who hold the rights...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:40 on March 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I see certain parallels with the music industry on the money part. Most of the "Top40" in music are engineered to make money. A great amount of time, the "artist" has no input to what their song is going to be.

The game market these days is much the same way. Almost all games are rehashes of old formulas. You can find real brand new games, but its not nearly worth the hassle anymore, and word of mouth is usually the only way. I doubt we'll see another Chris Sawyer type line of games again unless something drastic happens.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 20:15 on March 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I completely agree. I remember a time when I was angry when I could not buy a copy of my favorite PC game magazine. Now, I buy it once in several months, and I'm always bored about the content.

The game industry seems to be way too centered on shooters and RTS action game recently... It's not just a trend now, it's almost a monopoly..! :(
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll