The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Microprose MtG on XP?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Microprose MtG on XP?

Posted at 18:50 on May 14th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anyone know how to get the old MtG software from microprose to work on xp? Even compatibility mode doesn't work.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 08:22 on May 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I have a MtG-game from HOTUD, and I once tried to do something like that. Be aware that it will always be buggy, so don't expect miracles. There are some patches you need to apply before it will run. There is an old (3-6 months, I think) thread at the HOTUD forum on where to get them.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 16:54 on May 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
There is one way to get a completely bug free installation, but it's no longer available to me (which is why I need another way). I installed it on xp once by simply copying over the whole installation folder from a 98 machine (didn't make any registry changes or anything). Using that method, everything worked as well on xp as it did on 98. Unfortunately, my 98 machine is completely dead now, and I can no longer use that method.
-----
Posted at 19:36 on May 16th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'll try to find that stuff later, but yeah HOTU forums has a huge thread about a bunch of patches and things you need to do to get it working at XP
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 04:15 on May 17th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
The problem I had was that the game will not display the last line of any piece of text in the game. No matter what. Ever. Believe me, I've done everything that's possible (and some impossible things too) to get that to work. Plus, it keeps crashing once every 45 mins or so.

Cypher: you could get a friend to install it on his/her old comp...
-----
Posted at 16:33 on May 17th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Some people on the sites I've been looking at have had that problem, it seems to be something with the fonts. They claim that replacing the new TTO*.ttf fonts with the ones from the original installation fixed it. You should try installing the game in a new directory (c:magic2 or some such), but don't do any of the patches and stuff to make it playable, then copy all the TTO*.ttf files from that directory and use them to replace the ones in the current directory (then you can delete the second installation).
-----
Posted at 03:22 on May 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Thanks for the tip, cypher, but I tried that twice. It doesn't work for me, unfortunately :( :( :(
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll