The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Euro 2004
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 1234

Euro 2004

Posted at 13:31 on June 12th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The (football) championship has begun, and I'm now all for Greece to win. They played a very good match against the clueless Portugese team. In the next game, neither Spain nor Russia could convince me the slightest. So... any bets?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 01:35 on June 13th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I was thinking France, Sweden, Italy and Portugal in the semi-finals, and hoping for Italy to win. Too bad about the performance yesterday against Greece but still I wouldn't exactly call them favorites for the title (Greece that is).
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 03:27 on June 13th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm very sure Greece won't win, I'd just like them to, because they seem to be a sympathetic team. No silly 'stars' which in fact play just a badly as anyone else, no big pretense about their 'genious tactics'.
-----
Posted at 08:28 on June 13th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think Italy would be alright as the winner. They played quite good in recent tournaments, but they didn't win a title, did they? But at first I have to watch some matches to get to know the teams.

As for Greece, I don't really like Otto Rehagel. Yes, he was successful during his time in Bremen, but as aperson, he aparantly is quite unappealing. ;)
Posted at 08:59 on June 13th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, Italy definitely didn't win any tournament for many years.

I don't know Otto Rehagel 'as a person', so I can't really judge that. However, the fact that he lead Werder Bremen through the 'classic years' is definitely a plus in my book ;)
-----
Posted at 08:44 on June 14th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
France played really good against England yesterday, so I guess they can definitely be counted to the favourites, too (again). :cunning:
Posted at 08:47 on June 14th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I regretted the result, though. France is one of my least favourite teams along with the Netherlands and Germany ;)
-----
Posted at 11:38 on June 14th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I agree with you on the Netherlands and especially Germany, but France is alright, wouldn't mind at all if they win, I prefer them over England by far...

Anyway, Italy was rather disappointing today; wonder how Sweden will do. They'd have to be 1st and 2nd in their group in order for my silly predictions to be correct, and Denmark really got me worried now. :)
-----
Posted at 05:55 on June 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 17:44 on June, 14th 2004:

France played really good against England yesterday,

Noooooo! They were lucky!!

In fairness, France played a lot better in the second half. I think it must be the heat getting to the English players towards the end of the game :)
Posted at 10:22 on June 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I agree with you on the Netherlands and especially Germany, but France is alright, wouldn't mind at all if they win, I prefer them over England by far...

Anyone but Holland! ;)
Posted at 14:24 on June 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Germany - Netherlands: 1-1. The result fits in my opinion. Both teams were completely clueless most of the time, nobody seemed to have a real plan. Both goals were pretty much random occurences. Neither team deserves to get to the next round like that.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:27 on June, 15th 2004
-----
Posted at 15:12 on June 15th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Germany was better in the first half, Netherlands in the second. Justifiable result. Germnay was far better than expected, the Netherlands - as in every tournament - weaker than they claimed to be.
Posted at 15:14 on June 17th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Italy should get into some problems without their 'star' being available in the remaining games now. France once again did a disappointing show, but still snatched one point from the superior team. This 'effectivity' reminds me of the German team (in a negative way ;)).
-----
Posted at 18:05 on June 17th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Does anyone else find it kind of strange that Totti was punished for spitting someone in the face, while he wasn't punished at all for his kick on the knee that could have effectively ended the other guy's career? I mean if you had to pick between being spit in the face or getting kicked on your knee with a football shoe... Either way he got what he deserved, too bad for the team. We'll see how they do without him tomorrow, should be a nice clash between two of my favourites.

Croatia were surprisingly good today, I wonder how they'll perform against England. The only man who could save France was the unfortunate Croatian Tudor who handed them both goals... Zidane trading shirts with him after the match was definitely my personal highlight of the tournament so far. :P
-----
Posted at 04:20 on June 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I remember two similar incidents. Yesterday, Rooney against the Swiss goalkeeper, and one Dutch guy who kicked the German player Kuranyi right in the face with his shoes. I agree that's much worse than spitting in the face. :pain:

France was disappointing yesterday, but I think they will make it against Switzerland.
Posted at 06:26 on June 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Although kicking someone is of course worse than spitting at someone's face, but for example in the scene with Kuranyi (worst player of the tournament so far), it wasn't so obvious the other player wanted to hurt him. He took that risk for sure, but it was, after all, only 'dangerous playing'. Spitting in someone's face can only be interpreted in one single way, though.
-----
Posted at 15:13 on June 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Rough tackles are part of the game, spitting in someones face isnt.

Anyway, lets hope that the Scandinavians 'scratch each others backs' and play out a draw. That way the Italians are out no matter what :D
Posted at 15:15 on June 19th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, well, the Czech Republic is now the first team to reach quarter finals. They really deserved it, especially after today's great game. I still prefer Greece to win the tournament, but I wouldn't mind CR to be the winner, too ;)
-----
Posted at 03:55 on June 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Greece made it to the quarter final. :D

In my opinion, all teams are approximately at the same level. No one really dominates the tournament (which is good). On the other hand, they all seem to play very defensive (which sucks). ;)
Posted at 04:02 on June 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It just sucks that Portugal made it, too :(
-----
» Multiple Pages: 1234
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll