The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Rival Gangs (2021)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Rival Gangs (2021)

Posted at 08:04 on January 29th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Rival Gangs (2021) here!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 00:19 on February 7th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thank you for the review! I have to admit, it is a very fair assessment of the game :)

Allow me a little back-story...

During development, I was persuaded to enter the game into the ZX Dev Media Remakes competition, imposing a tight deadline... so despite many nocturnal coding sessions and a neglected partner, expectations had to be lowered and planned features were cut! :( Your review picked up a number of these missing features, sadly left out due to time constraints.

While I'm happy I even managed to make anything vaguely resembling GTA on an 8-bit micro by the deadline, my annoyance at the cuts was severe... so your prediction of a sequel is bang on! The extended edition (Rival Gangs EXT) will address most of the omissions you noticed, particularly some of the more frustrating ones which I'm happy to say have already been rectified or improved upon. The remainder are at the mercy of the machine's memory and processor limitations, but I'm confident of a much improved experience regardless.

I'm keen to read any further suggestions / criticisms, and would suggest the game's development thread on Spectrum Computing for these (though I will also check back here periodically)

Cheers!
Presh
Posted at 20:28 on February 7th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
If you entered it into a competition, I seriously hope you won :D

Thanks for the background & the outlook. I'll give the extended edition a spin for sure!
-----
Posted at 18:21 on April 24th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Me again! :D

The extended edition Rival Gangs EXT was released yesterday to mark the ZX Spectrum's 40th anniversary.

Hope you can find time to give it a go!

https://zxpresh.itch.io/rival-gangs-ext
Posted at 07:03 on April 27th, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Congratulations for getting it out! As it's now a commercial release, I doubt I'll play it, personally.
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll