The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Found Oekopoly
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Found Oekopoly

Posted at 13:35 on December 20th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Dr Gumby
While the recreation of my partitions I found an old C64-ROM of Oekolopoly and I remembered that you were searching for it (read in Help-section).

Is it the version you are looking for (see attached Screenshot)?
Attachment: *****
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 16:16 on December 20th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Kybernetien - that's the one. Send it over :D
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:24 on December 20th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Mail is on the way. :)

I played a round of it, but I remembered it as a better game than it is now. The game-mechanics are some kind of too sensitive. Don't know how to describe at the moment.
-----
Posted at 16:30 on December 20th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I don't know about the C64 version as I only played it on the Atari ST lately (no surprises there ;)), but it's exactly as I remember it from more than ten years back: 'Jungle Tribe' is incredibly simple, 'Industrial Country' is unbeatable, because the population growth goes out of hand in no time. And my teacher tried to tell me the latter is the simplest mode....

Edit: File arrived well. I'm too tired now, will try tomorrow (technically speaking: today).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 00:17 on December, 20th 2004
-----
Posted at 17:04 on December 20th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Kybernetien

:pain:
Posted at 08:54 on December 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hey, that game is typically German and proud of it ;)
-----
Posted at 10:16 on December 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just tried it, and it's kind of strange. It's definitely not the 'official' game by 'Prof. Frederic Vester'. It's missing the various scenarios I've been talking about earlier, but it's definitely the same game concept. All that is leading me to the conclusion it's an unofficial 'port' of the board game. Very interesting, didn't know this exists :)
-----
Posted at 11:54 on December 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I'm pleased, that I could be of help. :)

But I don't think that this one is a good conversion of the board game. There is only one not very hard, but annoying scenario and the game-mechanics are too simple. Still don't know what they really mean, when they talk about cybernetic thinking in the manual... :bemused:
-----
Posted at 16:05 on December 21st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Have you actually played the board game? Because the Atari ST version and also the PC version I remember from many years ago were just as simple. The only difference is nicer graphics and representation of the interconnections between the fields and a few different starting positions (scenarios). I can't judge how different it is from the original source.
-----
Posted at 01:41 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Have you actually played the board game?

Yes, but it has been some time. I played it during the one-year instruction for my religious confirmation, when I was 13-14 years old. But that time it was more nonvoluntary... ;)
-----
Posted at 03:26 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So was it more complex or can't you remember?
-----
Posted at 04:11 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
So was it more complex or can't you remember?

Can't remember complexity, but it was different though.
-----
Posted at 04:15 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Too bad, now I'm curious how the board game actually is ;)
-----
Posted at 06:30 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Try
eBay Link 1
or
eBay Link 2
or
eBay Link 3
or
eBay Link 4

Edit:
Or this link for the official manual
http://www.ravensburger.de/portal/images/downloadfiles/spielanleitung/Oekolopoly.pdf
there is also anoother manual avalaible at the same site. You find it if you search for ?kolopoly.

Edited by dregenRocks at 14:11 on December, 22nd 2004
-----
Posted at 11:00 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm not curious enough to buy the game, but I'll definitely check that manual out. Thanks for finding it :)
-----
Posted at 13:30 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Ok...
Question #1: What is this game? Is it anything like monopoly, or is the name similarity just coincidental? (All those links are useless to me since they're all in german.)

Quote:
I played it during the one-year instruction for my religious confirmation, when I was 13-14 years old. But that time it was more nonvoluntary...

Question #2: You were forced to play a board game for some religous ceremony?? Unless this game has strong religous content, I don't get that at all.
Question #3: "one-year instruction" ... "religious confirmation" ... "13-14 years old" *wonders what the hell all that's about* Sounds like something only jews and the old school catholics might go through. Then again, my knowledge of religion is almost non-existant. I'm aetheist myself, and don't know anyone who is seriously religous. (I assume most of them go to church on sundays, but I don't know. Religion never really comes up.)
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 14:10 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
"religious confirmation": Sounds like what we call '2nd communion' over here, if it's anything like that it's basically being baptised again, and you have to attend some silly group activities before receiving this "communion". It usually takes place at the age of +-12 so supposedly you do this out of your own free will - unlike baptism. In reality, you haven't got much choice, all what we call "lower" schools (age 6-12) have a religion class, and although you're free not to participate, people will think you're some kind of anti-social freak or something so most children just go with the majority and participate. It's pretty meaningless, basically just a good excuse to receive some nice gifts... and of all the people that were in my 'group' I don't think anyone has been to a church since (except maybe for the occasional funeral or wedding).
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 14:27 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think the theoretical meaning of a protestant confirmation is to "confirm" your belief in this religion. They attend religious classes once a week or so, mostly at the age of 13/14, and it ends with some mass ceremony in a church. However, it is often estimated as a step of "becoming an adult" in a completely non-religious context. I haven't met anyone who has done it because of actual belief anyway.
Posted at 14:33 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
They're not allowed to teach religion in public schools here (although private and parachial schools can do pretty much whatever they want).

I don't even know what religion I was born into, since my family aren't church goers. I know it's some form of christianity, and I know I was baptised when I was little/when I was born/whatever. Nor do I have the vaguest notion of the differences between the forms of christianity. I know catholic is very strict, but beyond that.....
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 14:48 on December 22nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
What is this game? Is it anything like monopoly, or is the name similarity just coincidental?
I can only talk about the computer game: You control a country by investing 'action points' (in the C64 version, it's actually money) into things like industry, ecology and education. There are more things, most of which can only be influenced indirectly; that's pretty much what the game is about: showing the interconnections between different fields of society, and the necessity to keep a balance between them. All in a very simplified manner.

Quote:
religious confirmation
That is indeed pretty much the protestant aequivalent of catholic second communion. Unlike Tapuak said, it's indeed viewed as the 'acceptence into the adult community' by the church itself. Here, about half of the kids take part in this charade, but 99.9999999999999% only because of the relatively large sums of money involved.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm an atheist and not baptised :P
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll