The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Different review format?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 1234

Different review format?

Posted at 12:57 on March 4th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Here's an approach to the old idea of reviewing games which is a little different. No idea if it could work or if it's a good idea. Feedback welcome.

Basically, it's two people who play the game for a period of time. Just like they would each review it. Just old memories aren't enough. Then, they both 'meet' online and have a conversation about the game. What it's about, what each of them especially liked, what could have been done better and so on. Basically, both of them saying what really struck them about the game. In the end, both of them coming to a conclusion (or even both of them to the same).

So what do you think?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:14 on March 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic#Hegelian_dialectic :P

I assume that your main intention is making the reviews more "objective" by this method. Although two people still can't make representative statements about a game, they could point out the "definite" pros ans cons of a game (i.e. what both like/dislike) better than a single reviewer. Of course, a third or fourth view would be even better to back up the theses. I'd be up for a try.
Posted at 13:02 on March 6th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Sounds good. If there's a try-out, I'm available.

edit: maybe a try-out of one of the "most wanted" reviews?

Edited by Johann67 at 00:42 on March, 06th 2005
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 01:51 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Good idea. I think Tapuak said all about this. I'm available for this experiment, too.
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 03:28 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Primarily, I was actually thinking of making the reviews more interesting to read. Having a little change from usual formula 'describe story - describe game mechanics - describe graphics / sound - come to a conclusion' which gets rather tiring to read and to produce.

Having different views in it which influence each other while the 'review' goes on is an interesting aspect, too, of course. I quite often notice things when people tell me their view on games - just that I can't incorporate that into 'my' reviews anymore then, because they've already been written.

Quote:
maybe a try-out of one of the "most wanted" reviews?
Those are rather 'special' games which probably aren't too well fit for such an experiment. First of all, most are RPGs, so I would definitely be out (johann and dregen - something for you two?). The rest isn't very accessable, i.e. it would really take a lot of dedication to 'get into' them.

Edit: As for doing this with more than two people, it would be possible, but I fear it won't be easy to follow for a reader anymore.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:44 on March, 07th 2005
-----
Posted at 03:59 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
johann and dregen - something for you two?

Heart Of Africa sounds nice. I remember playing it on my old C64 without manual and knowing what to do. Tried it again with manual on an emulator three years ago, still quite addictive, but a with bit clumsy interface. I'd like to review this one, if you give me time until weekend.

Which way we will do this?
One writes a complete review and the other "answers" on this? Or give some topics like "gameplay" and "interface" and both write their view? I'd prefer a mixture of both. It's always fun to read commented comments on reviews, but there has to be a maximum comment-value, too.
-----
Posted at 04:05 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Do you still have the manual anywhere? I remember the interface being quite clumsy, too, so I'd need some time to get back 'into' it.

Quote:
Which way we will do this?
I just thought we'd meet on ICQ or IRC for a chat. One person starts by giving a small introduction to the game (what it's about etc.), and then we just... talk about it. Both people should have a few notes what aspects they'd like to talk about, of course, but not really pre-written statements which are then commented.
-----
Posted at 04:12 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
If you still need me, I'm up for it.
I'd prefer the meeting to be on IRC, since the last time I installed ICQ it took me 3.5 days to get my internet connection working again.

Edit: I'd still need to get the game from somewhere, though. The HOTUD version doesn't seem to want to work.

Edited by Johann67 at 13:25 on March, 07th 2005
-----
Posted at 05:42 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Right, if you're willing to join in with Heart of Africa, we'll just do it with three people - a try can't hurt :) The game's available here: http://www.c64.com/detail.php?gameid=2191. I'd say we take a week for everyone to get familiar with the game again. No hurry, though - if you need more time, just say so. Alternatively, I wouldn't have a problem with you two doing it without me. Then, I'd just try it on another game together with Tapuak. What do you prefer?

dregen: If you can dig up the manual in addition, it would help tremendously, of course.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 13:52 on March, 07th 2005
-----
Posted at 06:01 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Okay, in a week then. :)

Quote:
dregen: If you can dig up the manual in addition, it would help tremendously, of course.

This will become a deep dig into my cd-"archive"... ;) But I think I'll find it again, until tomorrow.
-----
Posted at 06:07 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Don't bother - it's available here: http://project64.c64.org/games/0-l/index.html (302).
-----
Posted at 06:10 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Don't bother - it's available here: http://project64.c64.org/games/0-l/index.html (302).

Huh... Quite a time has passed, since I've been on those sites the last time... :o

Edited by dregenrocks at 16:31 on March, 07th 2005
-----
Posted at 10:35 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Since I'm not an avid c64 gamer, I had some trouble getting it all to work. All solved, now :)
Playing it as I write.
-----
Posted at 12:31 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Tapuak: I can easily do two at the moment, so if you care to choose a game, we can do another one ;)
-----
Posted at 12:33 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Unfortunately I don't have much time until end of March, so it would be a problem to get into a completely unknown, complex game. Therefore I could only participate in a review about some simple game or about one of the ones I played recently: Panzer General (yes, again :P) and Allied General.
Posted at 12:53 on March 7th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'd rather not be responsible for you failing any exams at university, so let's postpone this ;)
-----
Posted at 05:44 on March 8th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Dregen & Mr Creosote: when do we meet and where?
-----
Posted at 07:20 on March 8th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Late Sunday, 22h MET?
-----
Posted at 10:10 on March 8th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fine with me (assuming 'MET' is 'our' time ;)).
-----
Posted at 11:45 on March 8th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Just to be sure, that's GMT+1, right?
And where?
IRC? What channel/server?
-----
» Multiple Pages: 1234
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll