The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Hi and Help; Fate of Atlantis
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Hi and Help; Fate of Atlantis

Posted at 20:09 on August 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
After trawling nigh on every forum and getting sick to death with people still stuck on extracting RAR files for the latest 'Cars the movie' game I seem to have stumbled on a little nook of the net where I may get the information I need.
Basically that good ole game Fate of Atlantis;

Downloaded as a RAR file and extracted, but no cd image to be found among the files, trying to use dosBox to run the game but no text speech appears and no audio speech/sound fx (although music is heard).
Using scummvm an error message concerning the sound appears in the dos-prompt window.

I had a similar problem with GK1; Sins of the Father, (text speed was abnormally high because it's dependant on the audio playing) but resolved this when I realised that I needed to mount the cd drive in dosbox as well (bit new to all this malarky!).

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a cd image file, at least as far as I can see.
Can't get hold of the RAR file author either, although the file title was full speech and music.

Any suggestions or full solutions greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
Mud
Posted at 01:29 on August 22nd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Since we're not talking about a game you downloaded here, everything I can say is just a stab in the dark. First off all, you have to identify whether you have the CD or the floppy version. The former has full speech plus text and the latter just text. You should be able to tell from the overall size: the floppy version is between 10 and 12 MB big (uncompressed), the CD version is significantly larger.

In general, you can increase and decrease text speed in Lucas Arts Adventures using the "+" and "-" keys. "." skips to the next line. I think the keyboard switch to turn text on and off in 'talkie' versions is Ctrl+T.

As for the error message, it would be nice if you quoted it since Lucas Arts' games usually autodetect sound equipment.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:39 on August 22nd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Yes, it was a game I bought a long time ago, but I have lost the disc, I know I transfered all the files from the disc to hard disc and am trying to get it to work now the disc has been misplaced. Although thats not important.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I'll try out the commands you've given. If that doesn't work I'll report back with the error message.

Thanks for the prompt response!
Mud
Posted at 17:54 on August 22nd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
OK using ctrl + T allowed me to turn off the voice and see the text only, so at least now I know what he's saying!

Shame I can't get the sound working, using dosbox to run it, I'll try scummvm again later to see what the error message was, I expect it's not able to read the monster.sou file, or is just reading it too fast, maybe?

Anyhoo thanks again, I can now relive a great adventure, even if he is mute!

Mud

Edited by mudpuppet at 01:55 on August, 22nd 2006
Posted at 18:18 on August 22nd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Errr, me again.

Mentioning the monster.sou file made me double check the files I had, they were all present but the monster.sou file had the wrong file extension.

In other words solved my own problem, which was quite simple in the end...this is why I should never attempt things at 4am!

Thanks for the help anyway and I'll be sure to visit from time to time, quite enjoyed some of the forum posts as I was having a look round.

Mud

P.S: the beneath a steel sky rar file you have available on the main site, could you tell me what program that was compressed with? Mine won't open it (Newztoolz)
Posted at 01:14 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Glad you got it to work :)

I'm compressing all archives with the latest version of RAR at the time of a game's addition to the site, using the following flags:

-m5 (best compression)
-md4096 (dictionary size 4096)
-s (solid archive)

No further special settings, so it should work with any tool supporting the RAR format. If in doubt, use the official one from RARLab for your operating system.

Oh, and by the way - you can edit your own posts, so if nobody has replied yet, there's no need to post several messages in a row.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 09:17 on August, 23rd 2006
-----
Posted at 11:33 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Thanks, got BASS running. Don't know why my program couldn't do it :(

So gave in and got winRAR.

Anyhoo, tatty bye,
See ya again,
Mud
Posted at 10:17 on September 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi,

i need help with Fate of atlantis too. I had a CD but lost it along time ago. I have a floppy version which I have extracted to my harddrive and the Monster.sou file, but ScummVM I can hear the music and sound FX, but no voice?

What wrong?

And where is this RAR file?

:-)

many thanks!
Posted at 10:30 on September 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by aeonflux at 18:17 on September, 6th 2006:

I have a floppy version which I have extracted to my harddrive and the Monster.sou file, but ScummVM I can hear the music and sound FX, but no voice?

What wrong?
Nothing [is] wrong. The floppy version of this game has no recorded dialogue due to space constraints.
-----
Posted at 10:38 on September 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
right, I understand that, but shouldnt it contain all the hooks to try and play the voice? So I cant just put the monster.sou file down and have it work?

is there a way to intergrate the monster.sou file with the floppy version and have it work?
Posted at 10:58 on September 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
shouldnt it contain all the hooks to try and play the voice?
No, the CD 'talkie' version was released more than a year after the floppy version. Most likely, the former wasn't even thought of when the latter was made.
-----
Posted at 11:05 on September 6th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
makes sense, many thanks for the help. Anyone have a CD version they would like to part with?

haha
Posted at 09:00 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I was able to find my disc!!! It was still in an OLD cd case I had in the basement.

Does anyone know where I can find a manual in softcopy?

Thanks for the help guys!!
Posted at 12:12 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What do you need a manual for in this game? :confused:
-----
Posted at 12:19 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Copy protection.

http://www.gamemanuals.net/index
Posted at 12:34 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The CD version has this copy protection? All these checks were removed in the Lucas Arts CD games I own, because copying a few pages was way cheaper than copying a CD (technically almost impossible and financially completely impossible in those days) anyway ;)
-----
Posted at 15:46 on September 7th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well I have only played, and a bit, the Loom CD version, and it kept the protections. The other CD versions I saw only had voices and the rest was the same. Well, I had seen, years ago, images of Monkey Island CD which had an icon based inventory, but I have never seen it, so I don't know how that ended.
Posted at 02:23 on September 8th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I only have Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max on CD, and those come without copy protection. Of course, they're both newer than all the other games mentioned.
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll