The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - The Fourth Protocol (1985) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: wyp4C
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:06 on September 30th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You must be thinking of the third episode in relation to the parser. It's really bad; for example, you start with a machine gun in your inventory. However, attempting to refer to it (even examining it) only results in the noun not being recognized - in spite of typing it exactly as it appears in the inventory description. 'examine gun' doesn't work, either.

If your current self agrees with your eleven-year-old version, just add your rating the the entry!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 01:43 on September 30th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I remember playing this game on my parents' C64 about twenty years ago. I think it was acquired as part of an odd lot of software we were given when a neighbor "upgraded" to an IBM of some sort... My main negative memory of the game was getting frustrated because the parser was not what I was used to after playing Infocom games for hours on end. My main positive memory is the realistic presentation of espianoge, as the game showed that "real spies" spent a lot more time shuffling papers and observing "the adversary" than blowing things up and romancing exotic secret agents. I'm probably thinking more of the first segment, as it looks as thought things get a little more dramatic later on. Unfortunately, I don't remeber enough to give a real opinion about gameplay, but I probably would have rated this 4 out of 6 when I was eleven.
Posted at 18:52 on September 28th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about The Fourth Protocol (1985) here!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!