The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Operation Cleaner (1998) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 6VJ99
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 14:40 on June 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 13:47 on June 29th, 2013:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 08:39 on June 29th, 2013:
So, to sum it up, this game has worse physics than Boulder Dash? ;)

Ah, no they are slightly more sophisticated. :D But I have to admit they are very much alike: 'Eat' away some pieces and watch the others fall.

Well, at least in BD, when a bottom boulder is removed, the ones straight above will fall down… which is not the case in this game if your review is to be believed (also seen on that hilarious screenshot ;)).
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:47 on June 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby

Ah, no they are slightly more sophisticated. :D But I have to admit they are very much alike: 'Eat' away some pieces and watch the others fall.

I would actually argue that those compilation CDs killed the Shareware concept.

In a way they were a precursor to the internet, which in the the end really killed Shareware. Maybe for the reason you cite above, the overabundance of stuff and not knowing how to keep up with it, maybe it was also because there was enough free games to make you wonder why you should pay for the other ones in the first place. In the end all that remains of Shareware are trial versions and something like it's inversion: The Kickstarter (paying for a game that doesn't even exist instead of paying for a game you already have).
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 08:39 on June 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby

On the topic of the news, I would actually argue that those compilation CDs killed the Shareware concept. At first, they certainly did bring more attention to it on the surface, but if you think about it, it took away attention from the individual games. It sort of was the beginning of the age of total availability of too much stuff which nobody ever could find the time to even try out seriously! Don't we all know and hate it these days…?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:20 on June 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Operation Cleaner (1998) here!
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley