The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Unable to run DOS games on a system with integrated video - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: N1405
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 08:57 on February 16th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hm, but it's not only warcraft 2. Looks like it's a more common problem to all 16 bit DOS apps.
Posted at 09:48 on February 14th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Thanks, makes sense
Posted at 14:35 on February 7th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Warcraft 2 was notoriously picky with video cards. Considering you're trying to play the game on hardware of a totally different generation than available at the time of release, I'd say it's not a huge surprise. You also already tried a different memory extended as per your original post. Quite frankly, I'd recommend using an emulator instead to save yourself all the headache.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:18 on February 7th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Tried both MS-DOS and vanilla Windows98SE and WindowsXP.

In MS-DOS if it's clean there's DOS/4GW exception (invalid opcode)
If it's DOS + XMS(HIMEM.SYS) - there's DOS/4GW exception 0Dh (general protection fault)
If it's DOS + XMS( HIMEM.SYS) + EMS/UMB(Emm386.exe) - there's DOS/4GW exception 0Eh (page fault).

The latter one is the same error that is raised in Windows.
Posted at 19:47 on February 6th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
How are you trying to run it? Directly from MS-Windows?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 18:36 on February 6th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hey, hope this message finds you extra well

I've been recently trying to run warcraft 2 on my old laptop with Celeron 1.2, Intel 830MG chipset with 82830MG video controller. It has 128 Mb of RAM and 8 of them is reserved for the video memory.

The problem is when I try to run DOS games they crash - warcraft 2 gives page fault (tried dos/4gw memory extender as well as dos32a). Civ 3 or age of empires 1/2 that don't run in DOS work perfectly well.

Maybe there is any chance to get things work in DOS? The laptop is IBM ThinkPad R31