The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Software Registration Saved to Disk - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: @E5DL
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 19:19 on February 14th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by PariJon at 16:26 on February 14th, 2023:
I also noticed that at the very end that it appears that Windows 95 wrote some trash bytes which I am now curious if it's done that to some of my other disks.

Yes, this is unfortunately well-known Windows 95 behaviour, which is why you should never insert floppies into such a computer unless write-protected.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:26 on February 14th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I must thank you, I didn't think to check time stamps on the diskette. I ended up learning quite a bit from that breadcrumb.

In the particular case of Return of Arcade, I learned that two files had a modified time stamp. One file was changed to read-only. The second file, when viewed in a hex editor, had been changed and then marked as read-only as well. I was disappointed that it was not in plain ASCII.

I also noticed that at the very end that it appears that Windows 95 wrote some trash bytes which I am now curious if it's done that to some of my other disks.
Posted at 19:14 on February 13th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Essentially, what you should do is look for files on the medium which have a modification timestamp visibly distinct from the rest.
-----
Posted at 18:03 on February 13th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I hadn't given consideration to the era of when the software originated. I've been spoiled by the advancements of modernization and standardizations. I forget that I'm dealing with what was practically the Wild West of software engineering.

My focus of learning has been MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, and Windows 9x (6.22, 3.11, and 95 respectively.) I've mostly found 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disks and very few surviving CD-ROMs that are in a readable condition. A lot of copies of copies. I'm fairly new to the hobby of retro computers and hope to eventually rectify this.

I've just noticed this in particular with Microsoft software, but I'm sure during this era, they didn't even have a set standard internally. This particular topic was inspired by two secondhand copies of Microsoft Return to Arcade, one which already had a name registered and another which now has my name registered. It made me curious about attempting to modify it back to an "original state."
Posted at 16:42 on February 13th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'd say it really depends what generation of software you're talking about here. Standardization of installation procedures on Microsoft operating systems didn't really begin before InstallShield. I.e. for anything older, I doubt you will find the answer.

Either the registration data is saved somewhere to the installation medium (if floppy, not working for CDs obviously) or it is stored on the installation target (i.e. hard disk). In the latter case, again it depends on the generation of the software. In the days of the Windows registry, information may be stored there maybe? Before, it was pretty much: dump all information related to one application in the same place, wasn't it? In case of data stored on the installation floppies, good luck searching, but at least the search space is somewhat limited ;)
-----
Posted at 15:32 on February 13th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
My apologies if this has been discussed before and I failed at searching for the topic because I used incorrect terms.

In my hunt for older software and games, I've noticed from an issue during installation that causes me to remove and reinstall from scratch again, that the registration information I previously entered has been retained, or if using a copy that is secondhand, and not new old stock, has the registration information of the previous owner retained.

Is there any resources to read how this information is retained or ways to modify the disk to remove this old retained registration information?

I have yet to have encountered an issue where this has prevented me from installing and enjoying the software contained on the disks, but I would love to learn more about this. I am just having issues searching for it myself as I may be using incorrect terminology.

Thank you.