The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Deathtrap Dungeon (1984) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: pZEAA
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 16:44 on July 15th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's 6. I'm going through them in order right now, so you can find the ones preceding it (plus a couple of others) behind the link in the initial post.

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:49 on July 15th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I think it was early in the series, too, right? 2nd after Warlock of Firetop Mountain, iirc.

Posted on Mastodon
Posted at 14:03 on July 15th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm wondering if sales figures of those books have ever been made public. On anecdotal level, pretty much everyone seemed to have this particular book back then! Based on my assumption of high sales, it is no wonder they tried to re-invent it repeatedly.

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Posted at 13:24 on July 15th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
This is my favorite of the old game books. I don’t know if it’s historically true or accurate to say, but it seemed to me to be the blueprint for many that came after; not only the FF ones or others by Steve Jackson, mind you. I think you’re 100% correct in saying that the best part of it was the other explorers. It really felt like it increased the sense of the stakes and the “lived-in-ness” (died-in-ness?) of the world.

Posted on Mastodon
Posted at 07:42 on July 15th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Deathtrap Dungeon here!
-----