The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Albion (1996)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Albion (1996)

Posted at 15:47 on September 30th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Albion (1996) here!
Posted at 16:11 on September 30th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In some ways, this game is overshadowed by its predecessors. Nowhere near as popular as Amberstar, not with the same 'cult' appeal as Ambermoon.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:38 on October 1st, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I didn't know Ambermoon was similar to Albion, and looking around internet surprised me. I had heard of these two games, but being for Amiga I didn't play them (one day I should use an Amiga emulator, but I have many things to do)
Posted at 15:09 on October 3rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Actually, Amberstar is an Atari ST original, and Ambermoon was meant to become one as well (it was the faltering ST market and also Thalion's own demise which prevented it to be released for that system).

Regarding your comment about the final dungeon, seemingly 'endless' ones can be found in the 'Amber' games as well - the developers seemed to like it that way.
-----
Posted at 09:08 on October 4th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
This may have spoilers:

At the end of Albion you visit an underground city, which quickly becomes a dungeon. It's so long that the thing gets boring, requiring some days to finish it with many troubles. But after that you go back to the Toronto and again you get a loooong dungeon.

You get the impression that it is not going to end, and then throw you in a fight against a lot of very strong robots (and another one earlier versus a horde of weak ones if you didn't bring the correct character) where you have to kill the correct group to get a key card. That point felt like a kick in the balls and was where I decided to look for cheats, but luckily little after that you reach the end of the game.

Until that, the game is great, but the last part looks just as a cheap way of making the game longer.
Posted at 09:09 on June 23rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
For the collectors out there:

A pre-alpha 'dungeon routine' of Albion for the Amiga can be downloaded from Aminet.
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll