The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Editorial: Abandonware dead
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12345

Editorial: Abandonware dead

Posted at 17:36 on May 6th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 20:53 on May, 6th 2004:

Your point? Anyway, I can't say I'm bothered by your or anyone else's presence here. Mind you the rules of this forum are still the same.

The point is clear. I'm sorry you can't see it. I was fairly certain you might respond like that knowing your psychological profile, but I thought it would be nice if being nice actually worked with people. I can't force you to listen.

You've also made it clear that you intend to hold grudges against me, so there's no reason for me to be a participant again in this community.

I think your attitude is an unhealthy, but 'so what'.

Just remember that I tried to make good with you.
But if your hatred outweights any possibility that you'll concede I have any fingerhold on the truth, then it's not me that has the problem.
-----
My credit card # is: Plan X Globalism, Illuminati, Big Brother, Health, Philosophy, Spirituality, Paranormal, UFOs, Counter-Surveillance, Spy Tech, Survivalist Strategies +
Posted at 01:06 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It fits well into your 'psychological profile' that you assume your person and whether you're staying or going is of any importance to anyone here. I've made my point about that before, and I have no problem repeating it: I don't know you and I care as much about you as I would about any newbie who is showing extreme self-centered antics in just two posts. Anyway, as I said already, too: Do what you like, you'll be judged as anyone. However, as a friendly piece of advice, I suggest you cut out the martyrism and the know-it-all attitude.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:51 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Netdanzr: * Why older people don't run pages anymore. I don't think it's got to do as much with money than free time. These people have a job now, families, a social life. Especially in the US, jobs can take 60-80 hours per week, and families take the rest of the time.

I think that's only true to a certain degree. Yes, maybe some older people are more busy, but some still have some kind of hobby that they do in their free time in spite of that. Therefore I guess it mainly depends on the fact that the interest in computer games generally decreases the older the people get.
Posted at 08:10 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Free time: It's different in Germany than it is in the US. Here, people are happily working 60-80 hours per week; they consider their job to be a hobby. Wne I worked and studied at the same time in Slovakia, I still had plenty of time to play computer games. Here, I'm at work at 9, and I finish working between 8 and 9PM. There's little time left to study and to have any social life, and I'm happy if I get 30-60 minutes of gaming per day.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 09:09 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Here, people are happily working 60-80 hours per week; they consider their job to be a hobby.

Yes, maybe some people do that, but the vast majority doesn't. If there's no free time, how does the leisure industry in the US survive? When do Americans watch TV? Come on, working some additional hours per week in comparison to Europe doesn't mean that people can't run abandonware websites. ;) Moreover, most potential webmasters are not from the US.

I think "getting more busy" is one of the reasons in fact, but it's not especially American, and it's not the most important reason for the lack of gaming websites run by older people. I still think it's the low interest in computer games.
Posted at 13:07 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Oh, don't get me started on TV. Recently, there was a study that showed that watching TV in the US increased the atention deficit disorder in children, because that's how the US programming is structured. People have the TV on while doing something else (sleep, prepare or eat dinner, read); they only watch it consciously on weekends.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 13:18 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Also, let's not forget that running a website (of whatever type) can be one of the least time consuming hobbies of all. It doesn't need constant attention like for example a pet. It doesn't need regular 'meeting times' like any kind of clubs. Put something small on it every month or two, and it's still there 'happily'.

So: Lack of time - no. Lack of interest - yes.
-----
Posted at 14:23 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Being active in abandonware community is not only about running a Web site. Talking to people, e-mailing, being active at boards, preparing updates; all that is much more time-consuming than just running a site, but all of it is as important.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 14:27 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That is the way you can make it time-consuming, but it isn't a necessity.

I don't know why you're using e-mail as your point all the time anyway. Over the last year or so, I've received probably... one e-mail every two weeks in relation to TGOD. Neither technical help requests nor any other contacts are still wanted it seems.
-----
Posted at 19:04 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted at 22:52 on May, 6th 2004 by Mr Creosote
Nobody listened, so I stopped caring.

Isn't that the true problem? Even when abadonware was "popular", did someone ever listened to the "community"..?
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 21:57 on May 7th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 10:06 on May, 7th 2004:

It fits well into your 'psychological profile' that you assume your person and whether you're staying or going is of any importance to anyone here. I've made my point about that before, and I have no problem repeating it: I don't know you and I care as much about you as I would about any newbie who is showing extreme self-centered antics in just two posts. Anyway, as I said already, too: Do what you like, you'll be judged as anyone. However, as a friendly piece of advice, I suggest you cut out the martyrism and the know-it-all attitude.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone to associate themself with people that don't care about them. This may be the internet, but we're all human beings.

I'll be focusing my attention more in areas that allow more intellectual freedom and tolerance, like Plan X for example.

I did not come here to be self-centered or have a know-it-all attitude. However, I cannot deny that I am a martyr for censorship and forum injustice.

Anyway, I'd really like to apologize to NetDanzr more than anyone, because he's been cool throughout all my 'antics'.

Good luck.

Edited by Lillian White at 20:24 on February, 25th 2005
-----
My credit card # is: Plan X Globalism, Illuminati, Big Brother, Health, Philosophy, Spirituality, Paranormal, UFOs, Counter-Surveillance, Spy Tech, Survivalist Strategies +
Posted at 08:42 on May 8th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Here is a new theory:

Lets say a lot of the people that had sites used to be "oldwarez" people, and were somehow "forced" to be a clean abandonware site/whatever to have some sort of acceptance. These people were mainly concerned of releasing games on their sites at the first possible moment that it could be called abandonware. Basically they were just patient people that waited to get their games for free, and really had no inclination of preserving old games, or actually had old rare games to donate to the "scene". Usually they just downloaded a bunch of games off another site and reposted them in their own server. Soon though, a new kind of game started being abandoned in great numbers, and that was the CD-ROM game. Thus the abandonware scene sort of "stopped" at the beginning (not so common) to the advent of CD-Roms (moreso). Since the abandonware scene stopped offering the latest games that could possibly be classified as abandonware, many (webmasters and visitors) became disinterested.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 13:24 on May 8th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I agree. That's the point I tried to touch with the 'warez lists' example. The games offered now are 10+ years old. Five years ago, it was 5+ years.
-----
Posted at 06:29 on May 11th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
AEI is right , about me, that is. I'll leave the rest to your judgement

Now I'm in a net, but it really troublesome to come here very often , so I don't do it

Until my next return , HA HA HA, see ya all...

I ' LL BE BACK !
Posted at 04:19 on May 17th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
There's one question I'd like to ask Lunatic, if he's still reading:

Those "more important things" were there before. Even when you had your website(s). Why have you decided now that they're so important that running a website is no longer an option?
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 07:50 on May 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I can't speak for Asher, but in many cases I'd say it's the misimpression to have 'grown up'.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:51 on May, 18th 2004
-----
Posted at 11:08 on May 18th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Those "more important things" were there before.

Right. According to the logic of quitting something because there are "more important things", you have to do the "most important thing" (whatever that is) all the time - and that's imposssible.
Posted at 18:00 on May 30th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hey, i just remembered that i posted in this topic a couple of weeks ago, and decided to come back and see what else has been said.

Anyway, to answer the question.

In the past, i knew that there was more important things, but i honestly believed that i personally could not make a difference. So instead, i did what i enjoyed back then, which was running a website about abandonware (or several, to be more accurate).

Over the past 20-ish months, two things have changed.

1: I realised i COULD make a difference in peoples lives, and began doing so.

2: I began to really enjoy education (from both sides, i now actively pursue education and also educate others)

So, these days, i know i can make a difference, i enjoy making that difference, and so that is what i choose to spend my free time on, rather than abandonware.

Asher
Posted at 02:32 on May 31st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, so basically your answer is "I can't do more than one thing at once and I've soooooo grown up". Thanks for clarifying.
-----
Posted at 18:10 on May 31st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
no, not at all...i can do far more than one thing at a time, and i do.

i'd just prefer to do things i enjoy more and find more meaning in, which is obvious.
and i enjoy teaching/educating myself more and find more meaning in it than abandonware, and therefore, when i have spare time, i put it towards that.
» Multiple Pages: 12345
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll