The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - PunyJam #1
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

PunyJam #1

Posted at 18:46 on May 24th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
PunyInform is a lightweight library for the Inform 6 language to produce text adventures compatible with 8 bit systems like the C64. I had a look myself recently, it's quite impressive.

PunyJam produced several games, all starting from the same initial room description. Check them out!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 18:11 on May 26th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Must be nice playing them on an original C64. ;) Quite fascinating what they manage to pull off considering the hardware limitations, at least the Captain Cutter game seems surprisingly functional.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 06:13 on May 27th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, not that surprising. Most Infocom games ran on the C64!

These days, it's a matter of trading off manual optimization versus writing convenience. Modern compilers and libraries offer a lot of conveniences both for the writer (and the player). Though the more you take, the less likely it is to fit into old systems.

PunyInform has stripped a number of things out of the standard Inform library, but also optimized a lot. Also, it makes some things optional and in some cases, it does let the author either take the "automated" or the "manual" way. Then, if you choose to let the game auto-detect something, it may turn… slow. If you try to handle manually as author, you run the risk of mis-setting a flag somewhere.

With enough care on author side, a lot is possible! I don't even think those PunyJam games are showing off the best possible. Look at the game details page – the question asked is "how many hours did you spend writing?"
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 06:19 on May 27th, 2021
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll