The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The definitive DVD piracy warning - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: KVGV0
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:26 on July 31st, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A bit of series trivia: German TV 're-shot' two episodes (with German actors). Although the scripts were 90% identical, it was so unfunny it was cancelled after these two episodes. I only watched the first show of that abomination - and it left me wondering what the point was. Bad, unmotivated actors, some unexplainable script changes which showed they didn't get the actual joke at all (the boss calling "the big thing on the ground" the harddrive became "the mousepad", and "yesterday's jam" ("you know, this doesn't really work, jam lasts forever") became "yesterday's bun" (which, unlike jam, does not last forever)). A straight dub of the original series would have been more useful and certainly better received...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:31 on July 30th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
I'm quite sure the Internet versions have actually increased sales.

I think so too. I find that if I'm given the chance to see/hear a show/group first before buying and I like em, I'll actually buy their dvd/cd. However, I would never consider spending money on something I'm not sure about I'ld like. Life is expensive enough as it is...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 11:29 on July 30th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So much for the evil piracy on the Internet... the BBC actually offered the episodes for legal download for a time, and after watching them that way, I bought it, too. I'm quite sure the Internet versions have actually increased sales.
-----
Posted at 23:06 on July 29th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Thanks a lot Creo, watched some parts of the series on youtube and now that's another DVD I'm gonna have to buy... Very funny show :D
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 08:25 on June 22nd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, it's an original disc of The IT Crowd Season 2. One episode also has a mock anti-piracy clip in it, so that DVD warning goes along very well with it ;)
-----
Posted at 00:38 on June 22nd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
"..if you suspect that -you- (or someone else) is watching this dvd..."

Hmm... I -think- I'm watching this dvd, but I'm not really sure. I might be out on a speedboat or walking on mars. Is there some way I can be certain whether or not I'm watching this dvd?

I'm guessing that's on a pirated disc, and the person who pirated it added that as a joke...
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 21:21 on June 7th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
See attachment. Ironically, this screen followed a regular copyright / piracy warning.
Attachment: *****
-----