The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Mech Warrior 4 for free!? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ecNz2
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 13:30 on May 12th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
At least snesorama and google seem to be nice alternative... to all DRM issues. :D
Posted at 18:05 on May 11th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I don't think it's really an alternative :(
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:33 on May 11th, 2011 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
God, I hate Steam (just to make sure, not STEEM, great ST emulator :)) and all that DRM crap. Only place online I buy games (and that is rare) is gog.com. All games are DRM free and you can install them as many times you like to.

(sorry for revival of an old topic and off-topic post, just liked to point to alternatives and how much I hate DRM crap. )
Posted at 10:37 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's not only wrong in printed form.
-----
Posted at 10:34 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Dr Gumby
I personaly think it's an copy paste error from the steam version because the steam version must have an active internet connection.

This happens even in Newspapers. See attachment. ;)
Attachment: *****
-----
Edited by T-Pow at 10:35 on July 11th, 2010
Posted at 10:30 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Alright, if you've got an Internet connection, that's alright then. The company won't have to sue you ;)
-----
Posted at 10:28 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
The game can access the internet if it wants to. I have an Internet connection as you can read. But it doesn't use it. If it would do so I can give it back at my local store as long as it is not registered. And this particular game cannot be registered because there isn't any serial number inside the box.
Posted at 10:22 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Again: Can is not the same as allowed to. I can also crack games, but I'm still not allowed to.
-----
Posted at 10:16 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Originally posted by Wandrell at 10:12 on July 11th, 2010:
The Steam version uses the Steam-Cloud thing, so the savegames are stored in a server somewhere each time you stop playing, and they are downloaded each time you start playing.

This may be true for the Steam Version of this game but not for the boxed retail version that I own. It doesn't even install steam. The savegames are stored on my HDD and I can even copy them from one computer to another.
-----
Edited by T-Pow at 10:16 on July 11th, 2010
Posted at 10:12 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The Steam version uses the Steam-Cloud thing, so the savegames are stored in a server somewhere each time you stop playing, and they are downloaded each time you start playing.
Posted at 10:11 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
So it's the games fault. Not mine. ;)
Posted at 10:09 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So what? It says you need to have a connection to the Internet. It doesn't say that this particular game will use this connection.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 10:09 on July 11th, 2010
Posted at 10:07 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 10:05 on July 11th, 2010:
T-Pow: You're confusing technical requirements with licence requirements there. What you noticed is that you don't technically need either. You're still violating the licence by playing without an Internet connection.

I don't violate the license because the game doesn't even try to connect to the internet.
Posted at 10:05 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
T-Pow: You're confusing technical requirements with licence requirements there. What you noticed is that you don't technically need either. You're still violating the licence by playing without an Internet connection.
-----
Posted at 09:52 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I read them. And sometimes even the publishers don't read them. Do you want an example?
Here it is. Torchlight. The packaging says that you need a Internet Connection to use the game. And gues what. It doesn't need it! You can even play the game without the disk insertet and without an internet connection.
Posted at 09:36 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I personally never read them.

Edit:
As for new games, take a look at this: http://www.tigsource.com/. Here you can see some of the most interesting newer games.
-----
Edited by Wandrell at 09:39 on July 11th, 2010
Posted at 09:35 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I'm glad I'm not playing newer games... seriously!
Posted at 09:06 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, and, of course, the timeless reason:

- People are so used to such terms by now that they consider it normal and without alternative since "everybody does it anyway so one more doesn't matter anymore"
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 09:06 on July 11th, 2010
Posted at 08:48 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Elwood at 08:19 on July 11th, 2010:
I mean... wow... I can't imagine anyone agreeing to that, but as it looks... people do.

- People don't read it
- People think they have "nothing to hide" (most stupid argument ever)
-----
Posted at 08:34 on July 11th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Originally posted by Elwood at 08:19 on July 11th, 2010:
To be honest: Before reading this thread I never heard of Steam before. I'm really not up to date with the gaming industry it seems. Anyway - I read up on this and what I think I disliked the most (and that's a tough decision as there's a lot) is the fact that you agree that Steam can search your computer and you don't even know what kind of data is being sent. But what IS known is that the names of every installed program is among it.

I mean... wow... I can't imagine anyone agreeing to that, but as it looks... people do.

If you don't like Steam you should see what Ubisoft is selling nowadays. You can't even start the game without an Internet connection and your savegames are stored online too. If you loose the connection to the masterserver the Game stops and you're unable to do anything.