The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Small bugs - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: jqdm@
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 20:30 on February 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Early versions of seamonkey, with a white mouse in a red sailboat icon were buggy. More recent versions are fine.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 17:36 on February 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ah, yes, the problem is the two-byte character at the end there (the others alone are working). Interesting problem, I'm not yet sure how to handle this.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:17 on February 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Cliché displays fine now. :D

Here it is: é ï ¿ œ

Oops, my mistake, with these characters preview (not submit) button is displaying this error:

"Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum/redirectors/preview.php could not be found on this server.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.goodolddays.net Port 80"

P.S. I've tried Seamonkey, some time ago, but apparently some buggy release,so I guess I discarded it too soon, I'll give it another try. :)
-----
I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
-----
Edited by niko32 at 16:35 on February 23rd, 2007
Posted at 12:15 on February 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, I apparantely saved that text on the site in UTF-8 in spite of the character set in use there being ISO-8859-15. Silly mistake. I've put in an HTML entity now, so it should display fine in any case.

As for the board, let me try: é ï ¿ œ

P.S. Have you considered using Seamonkey? It's the followup of the Mozilla suite, and many extensions are available for it as well (though not all). I used it on my laptop for almost two years, and I've been extremely satisfied.

Edit: The special characters are showing up just fine here. Looking at the source of the page, the scripts automatically translates them into HTML entities as it should. I can't reproduce your problem.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:19 on February 23rd, 2007
Posted at 00:00 on February 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Just was looking at Minicomics section today and noticed some little error, so I wasn't too lazy to report it. Here it is if it matters:
Quote:
And to feed the "clich
(and some garbled symbols here instead of e)
It should obviously be "cliche".

Argh, it seems that this board can't display "e" with a hyphen and those garbled symbols too.

I'm using Mozilla 1.7.3 (been using it for years, it's kind of hard to leave it in favor of rather stripped down Firefox, but I'll have to because of all that amazing plugins) with selected Character encoding Unicode (UTF-8), tried different encodings and browsers (FF, even IE) to no avail.
So could it be encoding error on my side or something's wrong with server's data?
-----
I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
Posted at 01:33 on July 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The spambots attacked here as well. If this continues in other topics, I might have to disable guest posting completely.
-----
Posted at 21:12 on May 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Yes, of course. I use the "mark as read" every time I finish reading a forum. But as I said, it doesn't fix the (very minor anyways) problem.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 13:36 on May 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Yes, Mr Creosote is right. I thought of a solution in a more general way.
Posted at 04:33 on May 21st, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, it doesn't solve your problem, but it's still a viable alternative suggestion how to handle the question in general. The solution / workaround for your specific situation is called 'Mark As Read' (top menu).
-----
Posted at 22:25 on May 20th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how this could solve anything. The problem I raised happen specifically because I'm not signed in and that I don't have the cookie identification for the board. That's why all the posts without exception are flagged as unread.
-----
Posted at 08:22 on May 19th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
What about hybriding it? So, if you aren't logged in, it behaves as it does now. If you are logging in, the way is changed as suggested?
Posted at 06:27 on May 16th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I remembered why I did it as it is. 'My' system tracks 'unread'/'read' status for every visitor, no matter whether he's logged in or even has an account. So even returning guests can see what's new. The 'usual' way Cypherswipe describes only works for people who are registered and logged in which is quite a bit less of functionality.
-----
Posted at 05:44 on May 15th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
On most boards, the read/unread status for members who are logged in is somehow stored on the server (I don't know if that's in addition to, or in place of storing it with a cookie). I think what they actually do is compare the last time you logged in with the time of each post and mark anything posted before then as read and anything after that as unread. I think that that is a good way to do it.

On the other hand, I never simply delete all cookies, I prefer to delete specific cookies (which allows me to block certain domains/sites from setting future cookies), so it's not much of an issue either way.
-----
Posted at 04:18 on May 13th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sure, that's fine. Without feedback, I'm just doing everything so that it fits my usage patterns which isn't necessarily 'good'. So, as I said, if I can get anyone else to say something about this issue, I'd be glad...
-----
Posted at 20:53 on May 12th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well I do find this really annoying, but I understand that it's only a small matter. I won't go and ask you to change it only because of my own personnal tastes. My last post should only be seen as a suggestion, nothing else. :)
-----
Posted at 12:15 on May 12th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I perfectly understand what you mean, however, as you said, this is not a bug, because everything is working as it's intended. The 'last visit' information is saved purely on the client side. If you decide to delete this data, the forum recognizes you've never visited, so everything's unread.

Just changing it as you suggested would be technically possible, but it defeats the purpose of these indicators, too, in my opinion. Listing topics which you apparantely haven't read as read hardly makes sense. Then again, it's not much of a big deal - does anyone else have an opinion? This affects all guests and also people who don't log in by the way.
-----
Posted at 05:25 on May 12th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
FYI On windows systems, firefox, mozilla, seamonkey netscape, and nearly all other mozilla/gecko based browsers store cookies, history, cache and other such data in the application data folder. Cookies are stored in a file called cookies.txt. The exact location on a XP system would be something like: C:Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfileskv0a9iei.defaultcookies.txt
-----
Posted at 21:25 on May 11th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I know this is an old "bug", but it's still bugging me everytime I encounter it.

Sometimes I clear all my internet cookies and when this happen, I need to log back in. Everytime, I end up with all the threads without exception being flagged as "new". Since they are all flagged as new, all it does is to have all the topics spammed by >>>>>>'s in front and it is quite annoying.

Since it does quite defeat it's own purpose, could we consider changing this feature so somehow all the threads are unflaged instead of flaged as unread?
-----
Posted at 01:50 on February 27th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fixed. I simply forgot to include spaces into the allowed characters for company and game name.
-----
Posted at 18:40 on February 26th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
New site bug: On the review pages, clicking on the manufacturer link doesn't work. Error: "There's something wrong with your input variables."

Edit: Problem only seems to appear with company names consisting of more than one word.

Edited by Tapuak at 02:44 on February, 26th 2006