The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Forum features - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 6HqxH
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 12:50 on November 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There is a simple reason why such accounts shouldn't be deleted immediately when they're made: It'd enable this person to register with the same e-mail address again, and by that cause more work and trouble.

Now that (for example in the case of AEI) some time has passed, I don't see any reason to keep those accounts. On the other hand, I can't follow the argument of new visitors being repulsed. It's not as if the number of banned accounts is actually noticable. So in conclusion, yes, I have nothing against the deletion of accounts which had been banned without ever becoming active.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:33 on November 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Out of boredom I was browsing thru the members page and noticed some of them are banned, while still having 0 posts. While I can easily understand that they are probably clones of the problematic members who got banned (such as A.E.I.), I don't see why you are keeping them in the list. We all know that they are probably not real people but only clone of another already existing member, so I don't think they should count in the member total. Second, someone coming here for the first time could get a bad impression from such a sight, thinking you ban people for nothing before they get a chance to actually post.

Well, that's my oppinion. What do you think?
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 15:57 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Because there are people like me who don't want to be forwarded to the post they just made at all! I don't see the point of seeing my own post, I know what I've written. That is why I always go back to the subforum's index of the main index after posting. Previous versions of this board didn't have any forwarding at all, just the page with the link to the thread. The others convinced me to add one - but this is as far as it'll get.
-----
Posted at 15:24 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Netdanzr- Is that 3 windows in opera, or 3 tabs in opera? Opera does use distinctly more resources for each window you have open, but if you can only have 3 tabs open, there's something majorly wrong. Either you have an extremely old comp, or you should try uninstalling opera and doing a completely clean reinstall, see if that clears up the problem. If the problem is with having several windows open, I suggest switching to tabs.

Here's a question: Why do all boards have a distinct wait time before redirecting after a post or edit? I can understand having a redirect page to avoid issues with refreshing the thread after posting and accidentally reposting, but why not set it for 0 seconds? Why delay it at all?
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 10:50 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Oh yeah, after 5 minutes it does work... damn slow pc :)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 10:49 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hmm... have to try that out myself. I thought it's already there.

Edit: The timer is set to 5 seconds, just like after a new post.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:50 on July, 24th 2003
-----
Posted at 10:48 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I think it's already there... If you wait long enough. Seriously.

Edit: Yeah, it works alright.

Edited by The Mole at 18:49 on July, 24th 2003
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 10:47 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Another little detail which isn't much work (I think): an auto-redirect to your post after you edited much in the same fashion as when you post something... Don't know if it was already on the list or not...

Edited by Pada1 at 18:49 on July, 24th 2003
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 02:09 on March 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
This is already on the list, because someone suggested it in an inappropirate place before. I still don't think such a feature will reduce any 'repeat-posts', but anyway...
-----
Posted at 23:27 on March 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Sorry to bump an old topic, but may I suggest a feature?

On PHPbb, I use the "search" feature a lot. It'd be nice to have on this forum, and it would also limit the number of repeat-posts.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 03:05 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Got it. Thanx.
-----
Welcome to the Real World
Posted at 07:08 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Just copy and past the text you want to quote and place it between [ quote ] and [ /quote ] (without the spaces of course ;)) if you encouter any other problems, check out the text formatting page in the help-page...
-----
Posted at 06:23 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
How do you quote from someone in the middle of a reply? I mean when reading it there is a 'quote' option, but as soon as i hit reply over every message it is gone. So how do i quote from more than one person?
-----
Welcome to the Real World
Posted at 10:24 on December 22nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Happy Birthday, Mole! Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you the birthday calendar as a present because as you can see, I've been quite busy reviewing games ;)
-----
Posted at 08:14 on December 22nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Creo, have you thought about/had time for the birthday calendar? I really miss that feature... If it were here, you'ld all know it's the mole's BD today so Happy birthday moley :P
-----
Posted at 14:46 on December 9th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You do have a point there, but I don't think I'll do it because that would force everyone to use it that way. Personally, I dislike too many windows popping up and as it is at the moment, people have the choice whether to open two windows for the forum at once or not. I don't want to take that from them. Unless all the other regulars want this, too, of course...

Edit: there's also the technical aspect. In the thread about Opera 7, NetDanzr said he couldn't have more than three (?) windows open at the same time for lack of CPU power and memory. Taking up two of these 'slots' would be a bit unfair maybe.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:48 on December, 09th 2002
-----
Posted at 14:42 on December 9th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Suggestion; the help page should open in a new window. It would only be logical, since the majority of the users will open it while already writing a post.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 07:54 on November 6th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Technically: yes. I don't quite see what that be good for - if you consider some information private, nobody forces you to disclose it...
-----
Posted at 07:51 on November 6th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Just a small thing this time: would it be possible to disable the viewing of member profiles by those who are not logged in? It's a standard privacy thing that's being enforced on many other forums...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:14 on October 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That would be relatively much work for relatively little use. In addition, it would destroy the 'balance' between the two bars at the top and bottom. I'll see what I can do.
-----