The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Different review format? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 8bWOC
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 11:38 on May 15th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Just read the HoA review, nice idea that. Ideally, there'd be one of those for each traditional adventure, RPG, and strategy write-up. If someone's up for any of these, I'm game:

- Betrayal at Krondor
- Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space
- Police Quest II or III
- KGB
- Bermuda Syndrome

Edited by ardell at 13:40 on May, 20th 2005
Posted at 07:02 on May 15th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Wow, I guess that's the only game which actually uses the 'Pause' key for that function ;) Thanks!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:53 on May 15th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Pause: Pause key
Loading soldiers on a ship: Ctrl + left mouse key
Posted at 07:14 on May 14th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Like last time, the game's interface is freaking the hell out of me, and now I need some help: How do I load my soldiers onto a ship to get them to the enemies' islands? Also, is there any way to pause the game?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:14 on May, 14th 2005
-----
Posted at 14:19 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Okay. I'll make some screenshots meanwhile.
Posted at 14:08 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's fine with me. For the promotial title, I'd suggest "Geheimprojekt DMSO", because it's probably the freakiest idea ;)

Let's do Anno 1602 first, though. I'll dig it out again, play it and let you know when I got familiar enough with it again.
-----
Posted at 14:02 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
As for Panzer General 3D, I'm confused about the name again (German or English name?)

Panzer General 3D (German) = Panzer General II (English)

http://www.panzerliga.de/dt/docs/downloads/spielbenennung.php

Edited by Tapuak at 22:07 on May, 11th 2005
Posted at 13:55 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Anno 1602 is something I played three years ago, and I didn't like it at all.

That's good because I liked it - we could finally have a controversial discussion. All the others are okay for me, too.

So how about Anno 1602 and one promotional game? This is completely random, but we have to start somewhere.
Posted at 12:57 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Anno 1602 is something I played three years ago, and I didn't like it at all. Could do it, though. Never tried Verkehrsgigant, but I'd be willing to try if you give me enough time. As for Panzer General 3D, I'm confused about the name again (German or English name?), but to be honest, it'd be last on my list of these three.

Other suggestions:
-Software Manager: German economy sim I played a little about a year ago. Virtually unknown, which makes it interesting.
-The Famous Five: Five On A Treasure Island: I only just found this game for the first time, and haven't played it yet, but it could be funny (just for the record: that's "F?nf Freunde" in German)
-Hunter Hunted: Nice modern arcade style game.
-The Clou: Probably not the best idea for us two together, because our experiences with it should be almost identical, so we can't add to the other's opinion. Definitely a candidate for addition if there's anyone else willing to jump in, though.
-One of the promotial games I collected on that CD once? Especially those Adventures were quite funny...
-Some other Adventure game? I always have lots of those lying around - Discworld, The Dark Half, Innocent Until Caught, Universe, Ringworld etc.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 21:16 on May, 11th 2005
-----
Posted at 10:11 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I recently played & finished Anno 1602, Verkehrsgigant and Panzer General 3D, but I'd also like to review a comepletely unknown game. Any suggestions?
Posted at 02:02 on May 11th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sure
-----
Posted at 15:45 on May 10th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anyone up for another review?
Posted at 07:04 on March 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Review posted
-----
Posted at 04:13 on March 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'll still do that, but please upload this one. my version's meant more as a reference doc than anything else. to fuel the discussion, so to speak.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 03:46 on March 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks, I guess we can just take what you just said, then:
Quote:
<Mr Creosote> You can avoid that by carrying gifts in your hand, though.
<Johann67> Not always. Most of the time the villagers will steal what's in your hand, but occasionally it will come from your inventory even if you are carrying something in your hand.

So will you still do the 'classic review' from the discussion and then compare, or should we just post it as it is now?
-----
Posted at 01:51 on March 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
:embarassed: sorry about the late reply...
I like the result a lot more than I liked the idea when you proposed to make it a conversation-based review. It's a lot more readable than I had expected and gives a good overview of the game.
To my further embarrassment, I still haven't edited it into the old review form completely yet. However, the review as it now is will probably be a lot better than what will come out of that.

The trigger is random, most of the time the villagers will steal what's in your hand, but occasionally it will come from your inventory even if you are carrying something in your hand.
I've read this in a help text somewhere, but can't find it again. So, I've confirmed it myself. It's true.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 14:35 on March 17th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Message to Johann67 and Dregenrocks...

...who have both been here and read the remaining question numerous times, but ignored it so far: The problem won't just go away by itself. The review can't be posted as long as you don't say anything. So, please do - and if it's only "I don't care".

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:39 on March, 17th 2005
-----
Posted at 13:46 on March 16th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, here's what we have now. The last thing still to be sorted out should be this one, then:
Quote:
<Mr Creosote> You can avoid that by carrying gifts in your hand, though.
<Johann67> Not always.
So... how is it? Carrying gifts always worked for me, but then again, I usually avoided contact with the villagers completely. What is it that triggers this not to work? Random luck? Certain previous actions?
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 09:29 on March 16th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
You mean reorder everything which has been said, or just put several subheading in between the current text?

Just put several subheading in between the current text, for better orientation. :)
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 08:00 on March 16th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As far as I'm concerned, we can use that quote and then lose johann's "can't judge that".

Quote:
The only thing I would still like, a seperation of the text into four or five logical topics, like "gameplay", "graphics" and so on.
You mean reorder everything which has been said, or just put several subheading in between the current text?
-----