The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Saving in Noctropolis - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: IvzBB
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:12 on September 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You're either using different mount commands each time, or you just haven't installed the game.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 00:22 on September 29th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I'm having Tenko's original problem in that I can't save, kind of.

After a fresh install, I am able to save and load the game the first time I play it. Once I leave DOSBox and start the game again though, my save game is missing and any attempt to save gives me "Error: Path Not Found". This despite the fact that I can see my saved game in the NOCTROP folder. Also, saving the first time only works if I run the game from the dos window that is left open after I install the game. If I close DOSBox after installing and then reopen it, I am unable to save.

Any ideas?
Posted at 02:58 on April 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I made sure drive C was mounted as my local hard drive, and when I installed it I kept the directory name as short as possible - C:NOCT for example. It will then install fine, and should run with no problems :)
-----
"Always look on the bright side of Life"
Posted at 00:09 on April 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
For the benefit of other people who probably have the same problem, could you describe the final solution?
-----
Posted at 17:12 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Well, it works now. I can save too.

Thanks for your assistance Mr. Creosote :)

(Considering this is Noctropolis we're talking about, should you put on a cape and swoop away?)
-----
Posted at 15:34 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 20:25 on April, 20th 2005:

Could you please tell me exactly what you've done since you downloaded the file step-by-step? That important, because I need to know when (in what situation) these error messages appear and so on.

Okay, sorry about causing you problems :) Here are the two situations I usually end up in.

1) I mount the ISO on a virtual drive: I:
2) I drag-and-drop install.exe into dosBOX. It says 'Illegal Command: Install.exe'.

1) I mount the CD drive correctly, and mount C: as my local Z drive (am I doing something wrong here?)
2) I run install. I type in C:NOCT as a directory folder.
3) It displays this message:

What's going on? :(
-----
Posted at 13:45 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Make sure every folder in the install path is 8 characters or less.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 12:25 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Could you please tell me exactly what you've done since you downloaded the file step-by-step? That important, because I need to know when (in what situation) these error messages appear and so on.
-----
Posted at 11:25 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I've mounted it in dosbox. It keeps telling me my install path is too long or invalid. This is getting frustrating...
-----
Posted at 05:09 on April 20th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, since the game is provided as a CD image, you'll either have to burn it on an actual CD or mount the image as a virtual one (on OS level, so for example, use Daemon Tools). Then, you have to mount this CD as CD in Dosbox (use the -t cdrom switch). Both has to be fulfilled, otherwise, it won't work. Then, start the game's installer from Dosbox and the rest should be obvious.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 13:25 on April, 20th 2005
-----
Posted at 16:18 on April 19th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
English :)

Am I going to have to burn it all to CD to make it work?

P.S Thanks for the analysis so far :)
-----
Posted at 15:57 on April 19th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sounds as if you haven't installed the game, but just tried running it from CD. Which version of the game are you talking about by the way?
-----
Posted at 13:16 on April 19th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Okay, got the game working. It runs wonderfully, with full sound, video etc...until I try and save the game at which point it tells me 'ERROR: Path not found' and crashes back to dos. Do I have to create a directory for the saves? :( I'm running the game in DosBOX, Windows XP.
-----