The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - New Floppy Image Files (announce your uploads here!)
ClosedNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123303132333435555657

New Floppy Image Files (announce your uploads here!)

Posted at 08:50 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
If the raw flux files were provided, you can just run it through DTC yourself using the files instead of a physical drive (no need for the actual Kryoflux HW.) That will give you the same results (green/orange/red/etc..) as the read from the disk itself had.
Posted at 09:37 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by Pheonix at 08:50 on November 7th, 2018:
If the raw flux files were provided, you can just run it through DTC yourself using the files instead of a physical drive (no need for the actual Kryoflux HW.) That will give you the same results (green/orange/red/etc..) as the read from the disk itself had.

Yeah, I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the tip. Still though, it's only two games, the last 4 came as plain IMGs.

Gary Grigsby's Pacific War

Rebel Charge Chickamauga

Doesn't look as pristine as I thought it would be, but I guess this is yet another case of old age which is a non-issue?
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 11:00 on November 7th, 2018
Posted at 16:59 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Pacific war looks as if it was supposed to be an 80 track disk. Only track 0 is correctly numbered, which is usually indicative of this. Were the odd numbered track files included with the upload? If so, try converting again as an 80 track disk instead of 40.

Rebel charge could actually be fairly pristine. Easiest way to check, with what you have, is if there is data on the "green" tracks. If not, then it was mostly likely produced this way. Green marks different from original formatting. Many disks were formatted with the actual data (using a mastering machine.) But some companies used a machine that either took pre-formatted disks, or formatted them before writing. I have, for example, disks that do not even have a write enable notch, yet come up as all orange "H" tracks. The few green tracks are ones that are actually empty. Altered disks "usually" only have a few "H" tracks.
Posted at 22:23 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Pacific war looks as if it was supposed to be an 80 track disk. Only track 0 is correctly numbered, which is usually indicative of this. Were the odd numbered track files included with the upload? If so, try converting again as an 80 track disk instead of 40.

Yes, you're right. I honestly didn't pay attention to the track number as I expected it to be correct by default. It is indeed a 720kB disk and converting it revealed what appears to be a perfectly intact surface:

I have yet to learn that KF dumps can be flawed like that. Setting it to Verified. Thank you!

Quote:
Easiest way to check, with what you have, is if there is data on the "green" tracks. If not, then it was mostly likely produced this way.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I checked the IMG in the hex editor and apparently there are lots of blanks a bit more than halfway down with a few small intermittent bits of data stuck in-between. Not sure what to make of it.

@darksabre76,

Indycar Racing: Same as recently added ID 2830, only disk 1 and 3 have a few modified bytes in the boot area plus written System Volume Information folders. Enough to verify the former, though. Thanks.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 22:27 on November 7th, 2018
Posted at 23:16 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 22:23 on November 7th, 2018:
Quote:
Easiest way to check, with what you have, is if there is data on the "green" tracks. If not, then it was mostly likely produced this way.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I checked the IMG in the hex editor and apparently there are lots of blanks a bit more than halfway down with a few small intermittent bits of data stuck in-between. Not sure what to make of it.

Basically, tracks 0 through 26 are all marked as modified, with tracks 27 through 39 marked as unmodified. Assuming its a standard 360K disk with 9 sectors per track per side, you would go to offset 9 * 27 * 1024 (248832 or 0x3CC00) in your hex editor. From there until the end (0x59FFF) should be free of data. A few bytes of variance could be expected on original media, depending on what was used to format the disk. It is also possible that it could hold a format pattern (0xFE repeated over and over is one common example of this.) Situations like this were fairly common (though not the majority,) as the mastering system involved either using pre-formatted disks, or formatting it prior to writing the data.

In most cases, if a disk is all or mostly marked as modified, there is a chance that it is still "pristine." This is not always the case. For example, Starflight (both 1 & 2,) for the PC saved its games by re-writing the entire program file back to disk. So, if you notched and played off the originals, they would come up as mostly (if not completely,) modified, and yet no longer be pristine. But in most cases, if you played off the originals (and they were mastered to come up all green when pristine,) then only a few tracks (depending on the size of the save file,) would come up as modified.

For safety sake, though, its probably best to mark the disk as unverified until you have another of the same version to compare it with. Maybe mark it as probably (or possibly,) good.
Posted at 23:20 on November 7th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Thank you for all the info. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Maybe mark it as probably (or possibly,) good.

That's what empty comments are for ;)
-----
Posted at 01:58 on November 8th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
New uploads:

Battles of Napoleon
Battle of Antietam
Buck Rogers Matrix Cubed
Conflict Middle East
Posted at 02:12 on November 8th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
I uploaded Star Command's .raw files.

I didn't dump them. Pete Rittwage from C64 Preservation.com spent months dumping nearly 600 individual floppy disks/cassettes (and many were double sided flippies!). I mailed them to him in multiple shipments over several months, and he did all the hard work. The collection was a mix of PC, Apple, Atari, C64, Amiga, and Atari ST. I spent 15 years and many thousands of dollars collecting these vintage games on Ebay (mostly).

118 PC Titles
42 C64
30 Apple II
37 Atari 400/800
9 TRS-80
8 Atari ST
6 Amiga

Mostly war/strategy and RPG titles from SSI, SSG, Microprose, Avalon Hill, Electronic Arts, etc.

I'll continue to upload just the .img files, but if you want the .raw files for any specific titles, just ask.
-----
Edited by mikic at 02:17 on November 8th, 2018
Posted at 04:14 on November 9th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Added:

The Great War
Tony LaRussa Baseball II
Wargame Construction Set II Tanks!
Sword of Aragon
Posted at 05:15 on November 9th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
@mikic,

Quote:
Pete Rittwage from C64 Preservation.com spent months dumping nearly 600 individual floppy disks/cassettes (and many were double sided flippies!). I mailed them to him in multiple shipments over several months, and he did all the hard work.

Very well done, big thanks go to both of you!

Quote:
The collection was a mix of PC, Apple, Atari, C64, Amiga, and Atari ST. I spent 15 years and many thousands of dollars collecting these vintage games on Ebay (mostly).

Very generous, indeed. I bet someone must've already PM'd you with some impatient inquiries.

Added:

Battle of Antietam (2837): v1.2

Battles of Napoleon (2838): v1.00 Manual copy protection.

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed (2839): Won't run, possibly due to missing CP tracks.

Note: This one definitely needs a KF version.

Conflict: Middle East (2840): v1.0 Manual copy protection.

Star Command (2841): v1.2

Sword of Aragon (2842): v3.00 Manual copy protection.

The Great War: 1914-1918 (2843):

Tony La Russa Baseball II (2844): v1.3R Manual copy protection.

Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks! (2845): v1.0. Disk 2 is 3.5" DD (720kB).

Quote:
Mostly war/strategy and RPG titles from SSI, SSG, Microprose, Avalon Hill, Electronic Arts, etc.

You seem to be a big fan of these genre and theme. Let me guess, you're a history graduate or just in mad love with the subject?

Quote:
I'll continue to upload just the .img files, but if you want the .raw files for any specific titles, just ask.

Now that we can definitely test the validity of these dumps ourselves and you are probably not very familiar with KF/DTC since you didn't originally dump the disks, it would be nice if you could re-up all the earlier submitted games as KF RAWs. From now on, please include them. Sorry for the slight misdirection.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 05:23 on November 9th, 2018
Posted at 07:24 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Uploaded:

Roadwar 2000 Bonus Edition
No Greater Glory American Civil War
War in Russia
Medieval Lords
Posted at 07:45 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
@mikic,

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the submissions. I suspect the file size exceeded the allowed upload limit. I assume you made a single archive as previously but given the size of KF RAWs it must've got humongous. Could you break it down and upload each game individually, please? Sorry for the inconvenience.
-----
Posted at 08:28 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Uploaded .raw files for all previously uploaded and re-uploaded today's 4 individually. Also, uploaded a TSR-80 file for Pheonix. He had asked about the TSR-80 cassette piece. I'm guessing 100MB or thereabouts may be the max upload size. Let me know if you are missing any.
Posted at 08:55 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Sorry, I actually meant that I just don't know that much about TRS-80 disk formatting & such. I'll take a look at it though.
Posted at 09:07 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Yeah, I don't know much about TSR-80 either. Seems it was normal that cassettes back in late 70's early 80's came with multiple versions included. Many of the cassettes in the collection had a TSR-80 version included along with Apple, Atari, and/or C64 in some combination of all.

I actually downloaded a TSR-80 emulator earlier this year and was able to get the .wavs Pete dumped to run on it. It was fun for a weekend nostalgia project, but Apple/Atari/C64 versions are much better!

This was the best site I found for those interested in TSR-80:

www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/trs80.php
Posted at 09:38 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
@mikic,

Added:

Gary Grigsby's War in Russia (2846): v1.1. Manual copy protection.

Medieval Lords: Soldier Kings of Europe (2847): v1.0c. Manual copy protection.

No Greater Glory: The American Civil War (2848): v1.1 Manual copy protection.

Roadwar 2000 (2849): v1.1. From Roadwar: Bonus Edition compilation.

Roadwar Europa (2850): v1.0. From Roadwar: Bonus Edition compilation.

Wargame Construction Set (2851): v1.0. From Roadwar: Bonus Edition compilation.

Thank you. Verification of these and previous images in accordance with KF RAW quality is pending (Pheonix).
-----
Posted at 23:04 on November 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Finished a batch of flux file processing. Sorry, taking it in stages. The results so far:

Medieval Lords [2847]
Appears good through kryoflux. All tracks come out as unmodified. Changed to verified.

Treasures of the Savage Frontier [2836]
Appears good through kryoflux and IMG files in archive are good. Every track but a few are marked as modified, so left as unverified.

Roadwar 2000: Bonus Edition
All tracks of all 3 disks come up as unmodified (green.)
    Roadwar 2000 [2849] set to verified.
    Roadwar Europa [2850] set to verified.
    Wargame Construction Set [2851] set to verified.

No Greater Glory: American Civil War [2848]
Appears good through Kryoflux, 1 track each marked as altered. Cannot find anything on the disk images that accounts for it. Left as unverified.

The Great War: 1914-1918 [2843]
The first 3 disks are completely filled with modified tracks. The 4th disk only has the first 29 tracks marked as modified. The remaining 51 tracks are all filled with the fresh format pattern. Probably the way it was mastered. Left as unverified.

Tony La Russa Baseball II [2844]
All 6 disks come up as unmodified. Set to verified.

Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks! [2845]
Both disks come up as unmodified. Set to verified.

Sword of Aragon [2842]
All tracks come up as modified. Left at unverified.

War in Russia [-]
Appears very good. All tracks marked as unmodified. Safe to mark as verified.
Posted at 00:25 on November 11th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Uploaded:

Gettysburg The Turning Point
Conflict Korea
Wargame Contruction Set II Tanks - Scenario Disk 14 (Novastar Games)
Heroes of the Lance
Posted at 08:00 on November 11th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
@mikic,

Restored:

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed (2839): v1.0 Manual copy protection. The source disk had a few unreadable sectors affecting the files INSTALL.EXE and DISK1.EXE (fixed).

Note: Turns out it wasn't copy protection, but a faulty disk after all. Restoration went fine, should be as good as new now, though, of course, we still need another image to confirm it. Disk replaced, status & comments updated.

Added:

Gettysburg: The Turning Point (2852): v2.0

v1.0 Manual copy protection. Seems to match ID 2501 (Verified), only disk 1 has a few modified last sectors (read errors) and disk 3 shows different properties for the files M9.DAT, M10.DAT and OBJECTS.DAT.

Star Command (2854): Disk 1 is self-made using WinImage. Could you provide the faulty KF RAW dump, please?

Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks! Scenario Disk 14 (2855): Modified OEM ID, embedded CT & AT.

Not added:

Conflict: Korea: Same ID 722 which is now Verified. Thank you.

Other disks are pending further verification in accordance with KF RAWs (Pheonix).
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 13:52 on November 12th, 2018
Posted at 17:24 on November 11th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Uploaded:

Carrier Strike South Pacific 1942-1944

Phantasie III

Stellar Crusade

Great Naval Battles Vol II Guadalcanal

** I uloaded Medieval Lords again in error. Already uploaded previously. Disregard.
-----
Edited by mikic at 17:28 on November 11th, 2018
» Multiple Pages: 123303132333435555657
ClosedNew TopicNew Poll