The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Small bugs
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 1234567

Small bugs

Posted at 13:18 on August 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just wanted to make sure since the effect the bug had seemed to differ from computer to computer :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:23 on August 23rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Should be working when previewing new topics now, too.
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 05:44 on October 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
The advert you been running supposedly the first of each month is still going on right now, and we are the 10th.

I don't know if this is intentional, but it is efficiently stopping people from viewing the games if they came to your site with IE.

So you know...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 07:49 on October 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Uhm... it's October 1st on my planet? ;)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 07:51 on October 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
When I looked at the calender today, I noticed it was the 1st of October. What do you mean?
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 09:02 on October 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First of all, there are very different calendars in use all over the world, so it is perfectly possible (actually, it's a given fact) that what happens on a 1st for us occurs on the 10th (or whatever other day) for someone else.

That doesn't change the fact that this function only occurs approximately once every thirty days. Even damaged hardware clocks or anything client-side won't change that since it's based on the server clock.

Quote:
it is efficiently stopping people from viewing the games if they came to your site with IE
Actually, it's not. There's still the 'all games' list, or alternatively, there's the 'plain index' (link on the bottom of the front page) which lists games organized by system/letter. The latter is actually quite appropriate to the technical capabilities of this browser.

There's even a third way: entering the URL of the listing you want to see manually. All you have to do is decode which number means what. According to Microsoft, that's the only safe way of browsing the WWW anyway, so IE users should be used to it :P

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:05 on October, 01st 2004
-----
Posted at 23:08 on October 2nd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Ah well, I could have swore it was the 10th on my computer (??? :embarassed: ) Time is really running fast for me right now... And I been very tired lately, must be it.

For the second part, I searched for a little while before posting this and never noticed a way to get to the games. So it was either really impossible for me to get to them, or not apparant enough for me to notice even after a roughly 3 min search...
-----
Posted at 04:39 on October 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
One way to get to the games is described on http://goodolddays.net/index.php?args=0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;en;0;0;ie;1;:
Quote:
You can still see everything on the site of course - by clicking the 'Games' caption right in front of the link to this text.

Information about the second way (plain index) will be added shortly.
-----
Posted at 21:24 on October 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Yep, that's exactly where I landed. I knew that page already since a long time. However, I still don't see another way to get to the games other than the upper banner, and that's exactly that banner which doesn't work at the first of the month.

In the text it says you can still access the games from the bottom of the page, but there was nothing there.

On the side I choosed "PC" on the "Subcategory" pulldown menu, but it got me to a description of the PC and still had no way to get the the games from there either...
-----
Posted at 21:47 on October 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Large apologies to Mr Creosote and TGOD crew, among other things ;)

-----
Posted at 05:51 on October 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Inspired by Tuss' great picture, I made two screenshots to clarify what's apparantely not understandable via words.

The first one shows the menu as it should look. Everything from it disappears - everything but the word 'Games' itself. It's a link.
-----
Posted at 05:52 on October 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The second alternative can be found on the index page where the news can be found. Scroll all the way down to the disclaimer / copyright note and you'll find this link.
-----
Posted at 10:41 on October 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Perhaps underlining it (in the second attachment to show it as a link) would be wise.

As for the first attachement, that's exactly that banner which is removed the first of the month. If you want to go to the games you need to go to the disclaimer page... And most readers won't read it anyways.

I thought that link used to be at the bottom of each pages?
-----
Posted at 10:44 on October 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 18:31 on October, 4th 2004:

Perhaps underlining it (in the second attachment to show it as a link) would be wise.
I only put it there as a search-engine friendly version of the site, but I can do that, of course.

Quote:
As for the first attachement, that's exactly that banner which is removed the first of the month.
As I said, it isn't fully removed. This one single link stays.

Quote:
If you want to go to the games you need to go to the disclaimer page... And most readers won't read it anyways.
That's hardly my problem, isn't it? The information is there, and it's on the appropriate place where people should expect it - on the page explaining what went wrong.

Quote:
I thought that link used to be at the bottom of each pages?
Which link?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:58 on October, 04th 2004
-----
Posted at 16:37 on October 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Which link?
The one you circled in the second attachment. In fact I'm not talking about that link in particular, but I thought there was a link at the end of each page which would point to the same place. Perhaps that was part of the old desing? I don't remember.

Quote:
As I said, it isn't fully removed. This one single link stays.
I am not sure we are agreeing here. From what I experienced the whole banner disapear and is replaced by a single underlined link (pointed by 2 arrows) which then take me to the disclamer...

And for the record I'm not telling you all this because I'm angry or anything, it was only to give you some feedback and try to help you on your site. Even with such a disclaimer I tend to think webmasters want to make their site as friendly as possible... Which was not the case for me. Your seemingly agressive reply lead me to think otherwise tough.
-----
Posted at 04:09 on October 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I thought there was a link at the end of each page which would point to the same place.
No, there has never been such a link. The only 'permanent' parts of this design are the top and left menu. In the old design, the main menu was mirrored on the bottom, so you might be thinking of that.

Quote:
I am not sure we are agreeing here. From what I experienced the whole banner disapear and is replaced by a single underlined link (pointed by 2 arrows) which then take me to the disclamer...
There is nothing to agree or disagree there, since we're talking about facts. Check the attachment, this is how the menu looks for people like you on the 1st. It's perfectly possible that you overlooked the bold word, because you didn't assume it has any significance - well, that significance is described on the page you're lead to.

Saying 'but nobody will read it' is never an argument for me. I also sometimes get people asking about technical problems with games whose solution is described in the respective reviews. Do you seriously think I'm going to answer those? You can also see the general reaction (not only by me) to people reporting 'download errors' which could obviously solved by reading the download gateway itself (approximately five lines of text).
-----
Posted at 10:01 on October 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Tuss: Now we can see that MS Paint is a useful program after all. ;)
Posted at 10:49 on October 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
In the old design, the main menu was mirrored on the bottom, so you might be thinking of that.
Exactly what I was thinking. I must admit I never visited the new design much. I noticed that the disclaimer was pretty much the same than in the old desing and I probably taken for granted that it was the same text. So either I taken for granted that it was still written in the text (which is very possible) or the text really did not been changed and still have an allusion about having a link on the bottom of each page...

The third attachment is not exactly what I see at the 1st but is very similar. Probably a question of screen resolution.
-----
Posted at 11:24 on October 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 17:51 on October, 5th 2004:

Tuss: Now we can see that MS Paint is a useful program after all. ;)

Actually I used The Gimp, but I designed it with Paint in mind ;)
-----
Posted at 14:35 on October 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Small bug: since a few days, pictures from TGOD won't load for me about half the time.
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
» Multiple Pages: 1234567
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll