The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - IDSA attacks World of Spectrum
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

IDSA attacks World of Spectrum

Posted at 07:41 on February 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
And once again, the IDSA blunders. They have sent World of Spectrum a cease-and-desist letter, accusing them of distributing illegal software. (The site doesn't allow deep-linking; to check it out click on "What's new" and then the IDSA link onder Feb. 22.)

They accuse the site of "stealing" games like Frogger, Soldier of Fortune and Pac Man. The reply is worth reading; it should serve as a form reply to all that have to deal with the IDSA ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 09:07 on February 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Pff.... I asked them for a detailed list of what they think their members 'own', too, but they never replied. They never do. I'm also pretty sure they forget about their own letters the day after they sent them.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:42 on February, 28th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:34 on February 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
That's pretty obvious. IDSA, just like the rest of the bad boys of copyright enforcement (IFPI, etc.) uses a spider to track websites for their clients intellectual property. Chances are that they may have some undereducated half-wit pressing "give them a good beating" button on the result list, but I wouldn't bet my money even on that.
Fear of lawsuits is the most effective weapon ever - simply email the domain name holder and the company that registered it and leave them cover in fear.
Posted at 07:46 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Not only the IDSA is stupid, but also the BSA: http://distribution.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=581265&listName=dev
-----
Posted at 08:41 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I saw it. There was quite a discussion about it on Slashdot; somebody actually suggested that the server owner should sue the BSA for false representation.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 12:38 on August 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anyway, resurrecting an old thread. The now renamed IDSA sent a cease-and-desist letter to a server owner who hosts a Gentoo distribution. Apparently, they thought that the file INFMapPacks123FULL-MAN.zip is in fact a pirated version of Pac-Man. Full story and discussion here.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 15:13 on August 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So their name-change didn't make them smarter? What a surprise!
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll