The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Firefox 1.0
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

Firefox 1.0

Posted at 07:58 on November 9th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Firefox 1.0 has been released: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ :)

Edited by Tapuak at 15:42 on November, 09th 2004
Posted at 11:58 on November 9th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Heh - seems like their server is unreachable. I wonder why ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:08 on November 9th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
They got Spam Clubbed.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 02:05 on November 10th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Yeah! Firefox is great!
A year before I was a loyal opera-user, but the new version of the opera-browser (7.5x) are just too big, too mighty, too clumbsy (?).

It's also very interesting to take a look at the source of firefox. While the main-structure is (in my personal view) not a masterpiece, there are some components which are really impressive. Even the quirks-mode (which takes nearly half of the whole size) is in its logic near perfect. :o

After all, Firefox is also the first browser which offers serveral good implementations of mouse-gestures (as extensions). Can't live without them anymore... :)

Edited by dregenRocks at 09:48 on November, 10th 2004
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 15:42 on November 10th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Here's an objective comparison between Internet Explorer and Firefox (in German). They're comparing important details like how many mouse clicks are needed to change the browser's startup page, and two points go to IE based on the argument that an option isn't in the submenu "where people expect it, because that's where it is in IE" in Firefox ;)

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:25 on November, 10th 2004
-----
Posted at 20:05 on November 10th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't understand why they say it is three clicks to get to the favorites in Firefox? Can't you just use the dropdown menu?

Ok I've seen all if it now and they base EVERYTHING off how many clicks it takes to get anywhere. They fail to mention the massive security problems that IE has, how the code is old, and completely ignore that having Print... under File is much better than clogging up the toolbar with unneeded icons. I want to see as much of the website as possible
-----
Posted at 20:32 on November 10th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Damn, this review is crap...

The indicators used in the test are completely random. Changing the site that's displayed at startup is counted, other important things are not. How many clicks does it take to add an integrated search engine to IE? How do you switch the theme of IE? I wonder if it's possible at all. How do you uninstall IE? Besides that, IE's lack of security should account for a subtraction of 1000 points.

Quote:
and completely ignore that having Print... under File is much better than clogging up the toolbar with unneeded icons.

I don't even remember when I printed an internet page, so I don't need direct access to it. Moreover, you can configure the toolbars of Firefox yourself, and you can put a print button there, too. No idea if that's possible in IE. But hey, configuring the toolbar takes another three clicks! ;)
Posted at 06:08 on November 11th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I don't understand why they say it is three clicks to get to the favorites in Firefox? Can't you just use the dropdown menu?
They're only looking at the function to open a sidebar with the bookmarks. Again, this 'effort' can easily be reduced to two clicks when customizing Firefox' toolbar.

Similarly, they only mention that accessing a function can also be done with a simple combination of keys. Everybody who has seriously worked with a computer knows keystrokes are way more effective than mouse clicks...

I especially like the point about the browser history and cookies. Firefox gets negative points, because these setting are located under 'privacy' instead of 'general'. Nevermind that this is privacy ;)

Slightly off-topic, I'm wondering who is using a startup page at all? The first thing I always do after installing a new browser is to delete this entry, because why should I bother to have some random site load whenever I open a browser window? It's just an annoying waste of time.
-----
Posted at 10:43 on November 11th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I set Google as the homepage in Firefox, mostly because I dislike the Google search bar or whatever it's called. Loads in the blink of an eye (usually) so it doesn't really bother me to have it in every new tab I open.

Internet Explorer is set to about:blank, because I never really search anything with it, only view those few sites that insist on not showing up correctly in Firefox.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 13:42 on November 11th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I have fark set as my homepage for a few reasons.

1. I'm going to go to it anyway
2. It has a google bar in it
3. You loook like a cool guy to do so.
-----
Posted at 12:23 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
has any of you ever had the problem that firefox needs three or four clicks before it responds?
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 12:36 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Responds in what situation? Startup? Clicking on links on a site? In any case: no. It completely goes against the nature of a computer program, because it can only either work or not - and not 'sometimes work'.
-----
Posted at 14:08 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
has any of you ever had the problem that firefox needs three or four clicks before it responds?

No, never. Perhaps it was just a very slow server and it only seemed as if Firefox didn't react?
Posted at 15:29 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I often have the same problem with my browser. I always thought it was a server problem since IE react by adding the load bar at the bottom.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 15:36 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
If I leave my firefox window open and leave my computer for a while, sometimes it takes a couple minutes to get going again, and sometimes not. It all depends what site it is I guess. But otherwise, no.
-----
Posted at 16:13 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There are two alternatives I can think of:

1. It's like Eagle said - the browser actually receiving the clicks, but it takes a while to load enough to get it visible. Cache / virtual memory issues (like Tuss describes them) do fall under this category, too: the browser is receiving the clicks, but it doesn't know what to do with them yet.

2. Another program is catching these clicks. Doesn't have to be malicious. Window Maker, for example, has an option not to let applications register clicks which are meant to put the focus on them. Could also be something nasty, of course...
-----
Posted at 16:48 on March 1st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I've been getting more and more pop ups everyday while using firefox. Have they said anything in regards to 'catching up' with the advertisers?
-----
Posted at 12:30 on March 2nd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fixed in version 1.01 which has been released a few days ago?
-----
Posted at 13:37 on March 2nd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That's the version I'm using... I guess I'll have to get adblock extension?
-----
Posted at 13:46 on March 2nd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've installed the Flashblock extension. It prevents some annoying ads.
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll