The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - wizardry II images
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

wizardry II images

Posted at 18:22 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi gang, new here but thought I'd jump right in.
I think we will have a lot to share here in the very near future, but the main reason that I'm here today is to check your disk images for wizardry II.

The game was re-released in 1987. The re-release disk images are really common, the originals from 1982 or so are quite rare.
It's easy to check; just drag the file into a hex editor, and if the first thing you see is "System bootstrap v2.0 DSDD
(C) 1987 RWI, Inc" then you've got the re-release (and your disk list year should be updated). If not, well then, you've just made my day. ;)

can you please check for me? thanks!
Posted at 19:45 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's the 1987 release - sorry to disappoint you.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:25 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think Retrograde Station has both versions. The floppy booters collection they have will be added, as usual, as we have time and add all the floppies waiting.
Posted at 23:27 on December 20th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That site has been down for a couple of weeks now, though.
-----
Posted at 17:03 on December 21st, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That's sad, but there must be someone with all those images.
Posted at 04:21 on December 22nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
drat!
thanks for checking for me. the ever elusive first release has got to be out there somewhere...

retrograde has both releases of wizardry 1, but not 2. I worked closely with the owner; i'm the guy who wrote a program called flopper, which retrograde was a big part of back in the day.
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/flopper

i'm also working on a very ambitious project to archive *all* DOS games, which you can read about here:
http://www.underground-gamer.com/wiki/index.php/Complete_PC_MS-DOS_Collection_1979-1995

I think that there are lot of common interests between us, and I would love to share whatever we've got that you may be interested in here. I'm a big PC-booter collector and reverse engineerererer.

ok, sorry this thread has just turned into a horn tooting session for me, and that's not the way i wanted this to end up.:embarassed:
Posted at 10:09 on December 22nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, sharing certainly sounds good - especially if it's a suggestion from someone who actually has something to offer and doesn't just want stuff (we recently had some people like this here ;)). I guess Wandrell will have to keep an eye on your progress over at that torrent site... he's our ambassador there.
-----
Posted at 17:42 on December 22nd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I knew of that project, but still seemed to be work in progress. Looks great, but as always with these things, also looked like a lot of work.
Posted at 00:25 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
oh yeah, it's going to be WIP for years to come. the task is huge; about 11k games need to be located, checked, cleaned, renamed, added to the database, etc, etc. It took us 2.5 years to get 1981-1989 finished, and then we found that we still weren't done with those years, and there were lots of mistakes made. That was only ~2300 files of the project!

The great thing is that people keep giving us games that we never even knew existed, and as the project gains momentum, we continue to get people digging up their old shoeboxes o' games to add to the cause, and then we can turn around and share it with everyone. I've been essentially a horder of PC based games for like 20 years already, so the time required to work on this project doesn't bother me a bit. ;)

I'll send wandrell a PM on underground-gamer for the FTP login to our collection.
Posted at 14:04 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
oh yeah, it's going to be WIP for years to come. the task is huge; about 11k games need to be located, checked, cleaned, renamed, added to the database, etc, etc. It took us 2.5 years to get 1981-1989 finished, and then we found that we still weren't done with those years, and there were lots of mistakes made. That was only ~2300 files of the project!

The great thing is that people keep giving us games that we never even knew existed, and as the project gains momentum, we continue to get people digging up their old shoeboxes o' games to add to the cause, and then we can turn around and share it with everyone. I've been essentially a horder of PC based games for like 20 years already, so the time required to work on this project doesn't bother me a bit. ;)

I'll send wandrell a PM on underground-gamer for the FTP login to our collection.
Posted at 14:17 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Got the message, thanks a lot
Posted at 14:44 on December 23rd, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Cool!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll