The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Site Question..
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Site Question..

Posted at 18:20 on July 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi, it's been a very long time since I've been here and it's nice to see this place still exists :)

But a quick question regarding what made me find this place once again.. I was hunting for a replacement disk 2 for Ultima VII The Black Gate.

I own the original (hence the need for a replacement disk 2.. and maybe others) and the GoG release but I'm trying to install it on a P5 system from DOS 6.22 (GoG doesn't work on my P5 - trying to get an MT-32 working).

My question is, have I come to the wrong place to source a replacement image?
Posted at 19:36 on July 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
First off, what is wrong with the original disk 2 and exactly what does "replacement" signify? Is it protection issue? Also, have you ever heard of DOSBox? Why bother with DOS 6.22?

Secondly, regardless of the nature of your issue, i'm sorry to inform you that we don't share any of the disk images unless you have contributed to us and earned 50 points, which grants you access to our disk image section. That is, if we really do have what you need, which at this point i'm not certain of.

Lastly, if you only wish to play the game you can download a pre-installed version anywhere on the net, i could even help you with the link. But i'm still trying to understand your issue, so lend me a hand there, please.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 20:29 on July 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hey, this is indeed a blast from the past! Great to see some people from that time :D

As Vagabond said, our floppy images catalogue is really mostly for preservation purposes rather than sharing and spreading infinitely. If you "just" want the game, there could be other ways. Otherwise, well, there are ways to get access, of course.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:40 on July 12th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi Mr Creosote - good to see this place is still around, hope you've been doing well :D

Now to address the other reply..

1)

Q: What is wrong with the original disk 2?
A: The original disk to I had was giving me a CRC error upon installation.

Q: ..and exactly what does a "replacement" signify?
A: A replacement would have meant access to an image of disk 2.

Q: Is it a protection issue?
A: No it was not a protection issue.

Q: ..ever heard of DOSBox?
A: Yes I have heard of DOSBox.

Q: Why bother with DOS 6.22?
A: Why bother with old games at all? I collect old software and hardware (mostly C64 and Amiga) and some PC and other computer formats. I prefer to play the titles I own on the original hardware.. this latest effort with the aim of using a Roland MT-32 (something I never had back in the day). Emulation whilst convenient doesn't "cut it" for my old way of thinking - a significant amount of nostalgia is lost for me.

2) Fair enough, that was my question. I own the original disk 2 and need a replacement (suggesting there was an issue with my disk 2).

3) Well I own the original and thought I needed access to a replacement image. I stated that the GoG version didn't work on my P5 system.

Now, to clarify further. The reason I posted here is because I searched for Ultima VII and found no link to download. I then checked another random game here and it offered a download link. I check the rules link and saw no mention of why this might be which is why I asked the question. It turned out that for some reason I had to eject disk 2 and re-insert (CRC error gone). This also happened with disk 3 and 4.
-----
Edited by EvilCensor at 22:41 on July 12th, 2016
Posted at 06:07 on July 13th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There are legal issues (nasty letters fron lawyers) preventing some games from having a public download. Though if listed, the files are of course confirmed to be available internally.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll