The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - A sad day...
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

A sad day...

Posted at 10:30 on November 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Bush won...
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 11:52 on November 3rd, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Not that anyone expected anything else...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 05:23 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I'm not a friend of the UK-Yellow-Press, but this one is quite near my opiniion:

[see next post; no direct image links to servers you don't own, please -Mr Creosote]

Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:51 on November, 04th 2004
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 07:08 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Here's dregenrocks' image.
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 07:24 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
[see next post; no direct image links to servers you don't own, please -Mr Creosote]

I'm sorry.
-----
Posted at 07:55 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'll never forgive you!
-----
Posted at 08:10 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
...as always... :P
-----
Posted at 11:37 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I'd not call the news ALL bad. Funding for manned spaceflight R&D will be higher under the Bush administration than it would have been under Kerry. And much more ambitious.

Also, spaceflight policy debates in the USA these days tend to be dominated by libertarians with happy scenarios about bold entrepreneurs creating free-enterprise spaceflight in the proper sort of pro-business environment. I'm skeptical to be honest, but four more years of George Bush is certain to give a much better test to such theories than 8 years of John Kerry.

So these are two positive things.

-ming the more-or-less
Posted at 11:48 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'm a bit tired of people calling (more than) half of the American voters stupid. Maybe they're just smart enough to know it won't make any difference, so they vote for the funniest puppet to watch.

Quote:

Bill Hicks (RIP):
I have this feeling man; because you know just a handful of people actually run everything, that's true, it's provable... I'm not a conspiracy nut, it's provable. Just a handful, a very small elite run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whoever's elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what promises you make on the campaign trail - blah, blah, blah - when you win, you go into this smoky room with the twelve industrialist, capitalist scumfucks who got you in there, and this little screen comes down... and this big guy with his cigar goes: "Roll the film", and it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before, which looks suspiciously off the grassy knoll.... And then the screen comes up, the lights come on, and they go, to the new president,
"Any questions?"
"Just what my agenda is."
"First we bomb Bagdad."
"You got it!"
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 12:19 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Maybe they're just smart enough to know it won't make any difference
At last somebody said it - you have my full support on that!
-----
Posted at 12:29 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by The Mole: I'm a bit tired of people calling (more than) half of the American voters stupid.

That's true. They have voted, and we have to accept it.

However, there one point that makes me very sad. There are 59 million people in a democratic country who (assuming they agree with Bush's policy) refuse some of the most important ideas of a modern society. The right to live for everyone, the idea that every human has equal rights, and the separation of religion and government. On the other hand, they accept murder as a political instrument. I think that's far more dangerous than four more years of Bush.

Anyway, I'm glad that he won't affect my life here.

Quote:
Posted by mike shupp: I'd not call the news ALL bad. Funding for manned spaceflight R&D will be higher under the Bush administration than it would have been under Kerry. And much more ambitious.

I think there's hardly anything that's more unimportant than that as long as we are far away from solving the problems on earth.
Posted at 12:41 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Why limit this to 59 million people?
-----
Posted at 12:59 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, Bush's policy as a president is known, Kerry's is not. 59 million people explicitly supported the points mentioned above because the are put into practice by Bush's government. It would be unfair to include others, although some of them might have the same opinion. Moreover, I don't know Kerry's political view in particular.
Posted at 13:32 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty!
Do I really need to say more? Ok, here's one more fact: He voted for attacking Iraq.
-----
Posted at 14:38 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by mike shupp at 19:19 on November, 4th 2004:
Funding for manned spaceflight

Manned spaceflight in the United States? I don't see any. :angry:
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 17:02 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Annoying, ain't it? Still, Bush's plans, vague as they are at the moment, are more ambitious than Kerry's. We can but hope that more than rhetoric is involved ...

-- ming
Posted at 23:50 on November 4th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
I'm a bit tired of people calling (more than) half of the American voters stupid

Maybe not stupid, but very naive. Even if it would not make any difference at all, how can they vote for someone sho lied to them and vote someone who calls the richest people in america his base?

Quote:
Maybe they're just smart enough to know it won't make any difference

I don't believe that. Just take a look at the patriotic act, health care, and so on.

Quote:
Well, Bush's policy as a president is known, Kerry's is not. 59 million people explicitly supported the points mentioned above because the are put into practice by Bush's government.

...and that makes my pain.

But after all, why should I bother? ;)

And of course the voting has to be accepted! (Even if the voting-system has been criticised by the OSCE)

Edited by dregenRocks at 13:07 on November, 05th 2004
-----
Posted at 04:42 on November 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
how can they vote for someone sho lied to them and vote someone who calls the richest people in america his base?

Why do unemployed Germans vote for a party calling itself Partei der Besserverdienenden? It's exactly the same thing.

I just only learned about one aspect of the voting system there, and I don't really understand it. Maybe someone can explain. To vote, you have to register in advance. Ok, but why do people have to register as 'Republican', 'Democrat' or 'Independent'? Why do they have to give their preference away in advance? This not only violates the principle of having secret elections, but it also calls for abuse (like throwing away all registrations which are from the 'other' party).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:27 on November, 05th 2004
-----
Posted at 05:31 on November 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Why do unemployed Germans vote for a party calling itself Partei der Besserverdienenden? It's exactly the same thing.

1. They do not call themselves Partei der Besserverdienenden, but are called like that.
2. I think you can't compare this. I don't believe there are 52% of the unemployed in germany who would vote for that party. And after all, they did not lie (the last 2 years).

Quote:
Ok, but why do people have to register as 'Republican', 'Democrat' or 'Independent'?

Also a mystery to me. I think that's something for the OSCE again. ;)
-----
Posted at 05:47 on November 5th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
1. They do not call themselves Partei der Besserverdienenden, but are called like that.
Actually, That is how they called themselves a few years ago. Right before they started being a 'Spa?partei'.
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll