The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Comics talk - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 1LIp5
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 16:38 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, you've just made yourself the second persona non grata in the history of the forum. Congratulations. I hope you're proud now. Reason for the 'ban' (put into quotations for obvious reasons): abuse of the guest posting function (which is only meant for casual visitors making a request or asking something site-wise) for a personal vendetta (no need to answer these childish 'accusitions' you raised - even you should know me better). You're welcome to register your username and then ignore me and my posts as you will, but as a guest, you've had this chance and spoiled it. If you're planning to do so, I strongly advise you not to reply to my discussions then though (as you did in this thread) because then I will reply (as in this thread).

I've not turned off guest posting, but 'he' can't use 'his' name anymore as a guest. In case 'he' decides not to follow this direct 'hint', I will take further measures.

In case anyone considers this unfair, feel free to make your points and I will gladly listen to them. Don't spoil this thread any further though, but open a new one in Site Issues or (in case you don't want to make your view public) contact me on ICQ or via e-mail.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:59 on October, 07th 2002
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:32 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
It's not an insult, it's a fact that I am sure some of the other posters here aknowledge.

Now I guess they will stop asking me why I'm not registered back yet...

And go on, turn guest posting off as you like; just like I would care that you turn down your forum in term of quality simply because you can't take the opinion of someone and have to turn it to a bad joke that we already heard several times only because you wanted yet another post in your count.

In my opinion, it would only be your loss.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 05:24 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
And you'll be banned for the next insult (to be exact: you're on the right track to get guest posting disabled).
-----
Posted at 05:23 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
My mistake, it was Tapuak.

And don't try to play ignorant with me again. You're as uninteresting than usual.
-----
Posted at 05:13 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Who is "NetDanZr" and where did he/she/it attach anything?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 07:13 on October, 07th 2002
-----
Posted at 05:10 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
What's wrong with the image NetDanZr attached? If I had to judge only with that image, I would have to give 2 thumbs up!
-----
Posted at 08:18 on October 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
His eyes are 'Japanese', too :(
-----
Posted at 08:16 on October 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Especially He-Man's head sucks. It's about the size of a pea compared to his huge hands and feet... :(
Posted at 07:56 on October 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Absolutely true. Manga is certainly influencing the other styles a lot - the new MOTU being one of the prime examples of extreme mix-up :(
-----
Posted at 07:53 on October 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Retired Gumby
Quote:
-The split between 'classic' (american) comics and 'modern' (japanese) ones is getting bigger and bigger. Hardly any seller had both mixed.

In contrast to that, the "new" He-Man looks like a mixture of both (see attachment).
Attachment: *****
Posted at 06:45 on October 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Some (random) impressions from today's comic convention here in Hamburg (biggest in northern Germany I think - twice a year):

-The split between 'classic' (american) comics and 'modern' (japanese) ones is getting bigger and bigger. Hardly any seller had both mixed.

-Same with 'antiquarian' (i.e. anything older than 5 years) and new stuff - it's hardly ever mixed.

-The market for original language versions (since hardly anyone speaks Japanese here, that would be US-comics) is shrinking significantly. German translations are going stronger though (probably related to movies like Spiderman - attracts more casual readers who don't have any interest in original versions).

-The new MOTU line is close to non-existent here. Sure, it has not even been officially released in Germany, but importers are usually quick if there is a market. All I could find was two new He-Man figures and one Skeletor - under a mountain of Star Wars figures and next to another mountain of Dragonball Z figures. It was most telling that the number of MOTU figures of the old line being offered was higher.

-The one and only 'celebrity guest' was some penciller of a German comics line in 'American' style (i.e. not Manga). He was sitting there in a corner, most people didn't take any notice of him. Didn't talk to him, either, because to be honest, I've never read his line - too 90s for my taste.

-As for my personal 'success', I grabbed one issue of Tomorrow Stories I was still missing, a few Swamp Thing issues from the 70s (not reprints - they even had the very first issue which I'd love to have, but it's 'a bit' over my budget of course :() and a bunch of Flash and Green Lantern issues from the early 80s in German (sold for 0.50? each). Not too much, but then again, I'm not that well-off at the moment ;)
-----
Posted at 08:51 on October 4th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As for the MotU comics, it's pretty much the same deal as the animated series. I will get the first issue and ignore the rest :(.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:33 on October 3rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Nope, sorry, nothing I that comes to my mind right now....
-----
Posted at 14:31 on October 3rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Speaking of comics. I have noticed a caricature of Spider Jerusalem, the hero of DC's Transmetropolitan in the latest issue of The Punisher. Do you know if there's any bad blood between DC and Marvell at this time, Mr Creosote?
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 14:18 on October 3rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There is a promotial comic of the new MOTU line online here. I don't like it :(
-----
Posted at 09:58 on September 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, the transformation is really lame. But the very first transformation immediately after he was given the sword was even worse: he knew 'by instinct' what to do, what to say and so on - and he was immediately completely aware of all his powers, happily smashing away giant meteors, lifting mountains.... :(
-----
Posted at 09:55 on September 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well said. If I understood it right, it is now only the sword that makes him powerful, nothing else. Speaking of the sword: the scene where he changes reminds me strongly on similar scenes in Sailor Moon... ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:45 on September 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, there is a change in Adam: instead of being 'He-Man pretending to be a coward' he is really a coward and a teenage coward in addition :angry:
-----
Posted at 09:42 on September 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I saw a new episode. Adam is a young boy, not a scared and spoiled young man. That was the first turn-off. Later, I realized what you just said: logical gaps, a lot of useless fill-in that could've been scrapped, which made the production look very cheap and the episode quite boring. I could not make myself care for the characters at all...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:37 on September 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yep, I didn't like the first three edpisodes, either. I just can't see the point in all these fights which only consist of throwing swords in the air (what for???). Out of the 60 minutes, 40 could have been scrapped completely! In the rest, there were logical holes in the size of boulders left from ice age and it was all pretty uninteresting. :( The most ridiculous stuff was hiding Keldor's / Skeletor's face for so long (uuuuuh, how mysterious) and then it look extremely cheap - just only white! :pain:
-----