The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Procedure to verify disk images?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Procedure to verify disk images?

Posted at 04:12 on August 28th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I note that there are images of the 5.25 disks for Sim City for DOS (v1.07) in the database but they are flagged as "unverified".

http://www.goodolddays.net/diskimages/id%2C86/

I have my own original copies and I have just independently dumped them. The SHA1 hashes of my independently dumped images match those in the database. Therefore I think that I can independently certify the validity of those images.

I can't find anything on the website about how to go about doing that though. Does anyone know the procedure?

I'd like to take photographs of the actual disks and upload them too if that's something that would be accepted into the gallery. (I know where to upload, just asking if there is interest in this sort of thing).

Thanks!
-----
Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready
Posted at 16:00 on August 28th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
@BootSector

I also have version 1.07 of SimCity disks.

All SHA1 of ID:86 are verified. (same as mine)
Posted at 14:04 on September 3rd, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
If you verify an image you can say so in the forum, posting the validated hashes and id. Right now the priority is adding images to the collection, but we want to verify as many as possible too.
Posted at 13:56 on July 14th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I would like to know how the verification process works. After reading several topics in the forum, I only have a small clue.

It seems that you are using different indicators, like time stamps of files, checking for modified files (e.g. cracks), dumping tool (e.g. WinImage seems bad), modified sectors, ...

But how do you do all this?

Can you please provide some more detail about the process, how to judge if a disk image is in the most unaltered state? I would like to learn it.

Or if you know a web page that contains more explanation, that would be also fine. Thanks.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll